• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Avoiding Injury

Ben

In another thread there has been quite a bit of talk in regard to injury as the weights start to get heavier.

So, how do we avoid this? Is it an inevitable part of heavy weight training?

Hello Ben,

Leave one or two reps in the tank since this sport is about muscle building and not joint wrecking...simple really except for the ones with the inflated egos.

Heavy weights place great stress on our joints and if carried that much further would tear muscle from joint. So again, since this sport is about muscle building and not weightlifting, I suggest you leave forced reps alone especially when you're training in the low rep ranges of five.

Low reps/heavy weights will serve to cause the microtrauma that your muscles need to force an adaptation, but then you're going to need the blood pumping medium to high reps to nourish those muscles with much needed nutrient dense blood.

In another thread there has been quite a bit of talk in regard to injury as the weights start to get heavier.

So, how do we avoid this? Is it an inevitable part of heavy weight training?
Injury should never be an inevitable part of bodybuilding if you warm up well then stretch before training, lift smart, and then stretch after training.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I agree with you Fadi that injury should not be a part of the iron game. But unfortunately if you want to get to the top (as with any sport) it will most likely affect you.

But to avoid it I would focus on the following.

1. Warm up correctly
2. Proper form
3. Listen to your body. This only comes with experience.

I dont think he was talking about BB though Fadi.

I know Ben, he means getting strong, in his sig he mentions his lifts, not his bicep measurement.

Ben, if you continually strive for more weight, there has to be a breaking point. I dont mean severe injury, but an injury just the same.

Footballers are prepared by the best, they still suffer soft tissue injuries.

If they stuck to kick to kick in the backyard, their risk of injury reduces.

Do you want to play kick to kick?

I havent been in this sport long enough to know, but as long as you practice good form and dont overtrain it seems like youd be safe.

A lot of the stories about powerlifters ****ing up with shoulders and such seem to involve huge volume, ultra wide pressing and no overhead work...

Oh, you want cake AND a fork, I see

Lol, seems I can't have both.

Then again, to what level could you take it to before injuries start to become a problem? Strength, like most measurements, is relative I suppose.

Only injurys i have had are rleated to not stretching enough . i.e itb and knee problem and glutes too tight ****ing lower back..

But then again im not moving alot of volume yet.

24 mate. Why's that?

Firstly I wish I was still that young, sighhhhh...

And when you are young your bedy seems to able to handle exercise, and stressors better, I have noticed that as I am getting older, you tend to hurt more..

Life simply starts to catch up with you....

Firstly I wish I was still that young, sighhhhh...

And when you are young your bedy seems to able to handle exercise, and stressors better, I have noticed that as I am getting older, you tend to hurt more..

Life simply starts to catch up with you....

No your hormones deminish thus your bodies ability to recover... But dont let that stop you from trianing.

dont look at the hot blonde walking past in the mirror while u 160kgs plus on squats.. yeah thats how i snapped my back but anywayzzz...

warming up/listening to your body/taking a week off after every 12 week training cycle are ways to avoid this..

But eventually as we weaken due to age you cant avoid injuries especially if your pushing your limit constantly. The mind may be there but heck the body sure aint.