• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Speed or Dynamic effort training

PTC

I thought I would start a thread on speed or dynamic effort training, but before I start, I want to clear up a couple of things.

There are a couple of weak individuals among us, who are light years behind the strength curve of a normal lifter with a similar ammount of training years. They post threads about random lifters or random articles that get no response, then claim that all I do is speak about PTC.

There right, thats all I do, I dont speak about things I havent tried, unlike them who search the net and post things we could care less about, attempting to make themselves strong by association.

Now, I want to talk about the role of speed work in lifting. We can all go and read Westside articles or any other massive ammount found on the net, but I want to talk about MY experiences with it.

Recently Oli dismissed the role of speed in powerlifting. I dont agree with him, nor do I totally disagree with him. I'll explain why.

All my initial strength gains were made before I had ever heard of Louie or speed work. I made good progressive gains by simply using tried and tested progressive resistance. I used the same methods to train 2 boys to State Championships in the early 90's.

Moving ahead to 2003, I discovered lots of Westsides principles. I hadnt trained for 8 yesrs and had a chronic back condition. Using Louies ideas I strengthened my back to a never before attained level. For that, I will always be indebted to him. I only trained for 3 months back then, but it was enough to convince me he had the smarts.

Moving on to 2006, I started lifting again. I still had a severed pec, so I hadnt benched heavy since 1995. PTC wasnt around (est:2008) I was training with Nina and an old lifting mate. Nina had a PB bench of just under 60kg and I was starting from scratch.

We did a maximum effort day and a dynamic effort day. This worked very well for a period, I benched 150kg @ 90kg and Nina ultimately benched 72.5kg raw @ 58kg.

I stopped training shortly after (Nov 2007) as I had developed quite a few niggles (shoulder, knee, elbow).

I looked back and reviewed what we had done and I came to this conclusion. Nina has always been a grinding kind of lifter, very little bar speed. Amazing lockout, slow off the chest. I was the total opposite, the bar always flew off my chest and I used that speed to lockout heavy weights. I could close grip 140kg for reps in the early 90's, so I didnt have a weak lockout, its just that speed was my asset.

So after all the Westside training, I discovered that for a drug free unequipped lifter, the load MAY be too much. I was 45, so that would play a role, but Louies template is designed for HIS lifters, training in HIS gym. They are all world class athletes who will do whatever it takes to recover, as any world class lifter should.

So, back to speed work, does it help?

I believe it does. The latest test I did was with Nick. His bench had stuttered, and from memory, he was benching 117.5kg after a break, it may have even been less, I have it documented but I cant be stuffed going back to look for it. Nick ultimately benched 145kg using speed work once a week, and has since gone further.

Talking to Nick, he is going back to speed benching on Saturdays again, with Max, Dim and Alen. Nina and Annie have as well, so I'll have more to report.

Now what about other lifts? I have tried speed squats, sitting down on a huge cushion on a box, never felt right. I tried bands as resistance, still didnt feel right. During the last week, I have used bands to deload the weight. With the band offering the most help at the bottom, and accelerating the bar out of the hole, I feel it may work best for unassisted lifters. Max has made 200kg this way, Nick tried 250kg but was overcome, Nina made 130kg last night and Annie got 100kg.

The bands offer no assistance at the top, so the lifter needs to lock the squat out, where it helps is the hardest part of the lift, the bottom. It rapidly increases bar speed. I will play with this for awhile and see how much carry over we get.

As far as deadlift goes, I am very wary of having a lifter go too fast and coming out of the groove and hurting themselves. I have mini bands that will help a lifter with a weak upper back lockout deadlifts, but I feel there are better exercises to strengthen the upperback.

So who will benefit the most with speed work? Obviously the slower lifters, but thats not to say that even the faster lifters wont gain. Some exercises are easier to implement speed work, try for yourself and see.

And if your unsure if being faster makes you stronger, ponder this.

Max powercleans 115kg @ 70kg, he could easily do 120kg + right now.

He has 2 National Deadlift records, and is chasing a 3rd in August. As his powerclean went up, so too did his deadlift. His mum is the opposite, a slow lifter, and the deadlift is her worst lift. Annie is a very good powercleaner, approaching 70kg, she deadlifted 25kg more than Nina at the Nationals, yet squatted 7.5kg less. On deload band squats, where the band accelerates the bar, Nina squatted 30kg more than Annie, who has a faster squat than Nina without bands, so she gets less help.

Being fast is a definite advantage.

Whether its for you or not, you'll have to decide. Base that decision on trial, not an article.

When Nina was using speed bench on a weekly basis, she benched 72.5kg, now that she isnt, she only made 62.5kg at the States. We'll check back in 12 weeks and see if it makes any difference now that its been added.

Nice post mate.

Speed work is a huge thing in my gym. People who say speed work does not increase power/strength normally don't know what it is lol.

I use speed work myself (variation of westside), and I will get pretty much all my guys to use some sort of speed work in there training.

An ex-Bronco trains at my gym and when he was there they were using a westside template (still do) of training/ using alot of speed work - the Broncos strength and conditioning is at the top of Rugby League at the moment - this player came into the gym and knew how to use bands/chains for speed work - I have never seen a rugby player do this!

If anyone is keen to learn more about speed work - also how bands and chains are used in speed work then Iam happy to discuss this with ppl! and Iam sure Markos would be to.

I will normally go for 30-55% of 1RM - between 6-12 sets of 2-3.

+ I will pretty much always use chains or bands.

I thought speed squat is the jump squat, i.e you squat down with a light weight then jump up as high & explosive as possible. Like a normal bodyweight jump squat but with a barbell on your back. I first read about it in the VJB.

Squat using heavier weight than your 1RM and using a band to help with the initial acceleration seems to defeat the purpose of generating max speed by yourself to me (although I think it'll help with the top half of the squat).

Either way, the name of the game is Bigger Stronger Faster (+ Leaner & Fitter). Strength without Speed is rather pointless.

On the bench, if I'm not using chains I go 60% for sets of 3. If the lifter gets 3 reps in 3 seconds, I increase the weight. I keep increasing the weight till he slows/fatigues and he goes over 3 seconds. From memory, Nick has managed 110kg x 3 in under 3 seconds.

If I'm using my 25kg chains, I start at 55% of 1RM.

I dont do any speed work with novices

Power without strength is pointless. You need some sort of a base first. Far too many ignore the basics, they remain weak for life. I was checking a journal today and someone is doing 5kg flyes and he benches 50 odd kilos. I shit you not.

I thought speed squat is the jump squat, i.e you squat down with a light weight then jump up as high & explosive as possible. Like a normal bodyweight jump squat but with a barbell on your back. I first read about it in the VJB.

Squat using heavier weight than your 1RM and using a band to help with the initial acceleration seems to defeat the purpose of generating max speed by yourself to me (although I think it'll help with the top half of the squat).

Either way, the name of the game is Bigger Stronger Faster (+ Leaner & Fitter). Strength without Speed is rather pointless.

The deload band work is useless at the top, it "teaches" the body to be fast in the hole, the top is all you.

We've done jump squats, the weight remains far too light for any carryover to heavy squats, when Max got up to 100kg, it was dangerous having that bar crashing on him.

Sixty kilo efforts are pointless, we have a few lifters who have done over 100 reps with that weight, its just not enough.

As I explained, Nick is able to use 110kg on a 150kg PB, thats 73% of his 1RM. If he was to use 73% of his 1RM on jump squats, thats 160kg, not very safe.

The idea is to "teach" the body to be fast.

If you compete speed of movement is a requirement and a necessary evil.
Safe? No.
Not for the lifting hobbyist, but the lifting hobbyist will be lifting much longer and not a cripple by the age of 40.
Posted via Mobile Device

On the bench, if I'm not using chains I go 60% for sets of 3. If the lifter gets 3 reps in 3 seconds, I increase the weight. I keep increasing the weight till he slows/fatigues and he goes over 3 seconds. From memory, Nick has managed 110kg x 3 in under 3 seconds.

If I'm using my 25kg chains, I start at 55% of 1RM.

I dont do any speed work with novices

Power without strength is pointless. You need some sort of a base first. Far too many ignore the basics, they remain weak for life. I was checking a journal today and someone is doing 5kg flyes and he benches 50 odd kilos. I shit you not.

Markos makes a good/important point here - speed work is not for novice lifter so plz plz people don't just start doing speed work till you have a strong base and also a strong idea of how to do speed work.

If you compete speed of movement is a requirement and a necessary evil.
Safe? No.
Not for the lifting hobbyist, but the lifting hobbyist will be lifting much longer and not a cripple by the age of 40.
Posted via Mobile Device

What? :confused:

I think the reason hobbyist arent cripples is due to the fact they never push the envelope, not because they lift slow.

I'm positive if I stayed with a 140kg bench and 180kg squat, I never would have gotten injured, not physically anyway, just mental scarring.

There is a guy on here, Simon (laughing man) he is an extremely explosive powerlifter. He is a naturally strong guy who happens to be explosive. He has performed lifts at 18 that most will never ever approach, well over 200kg raw squat and deadlifts at 82kg.

I dont believe he will be a cripple at age 40 unless he pursues 300kg in each disciple (he will). Simon could simply continue to be stronger than 95% of the population for the rest of his life and not shorten his lifting career. Some arent blessed with his abilities, and suffer lots of injuries trying to emulate him.

It comes down to choices.

Each case should be treated on its merits. Yes heavy weights will take its toll, thats obvious, its like a race car, sooner or later it will break if driven hard enough, where a Hyundai will go much longer.

If you dont need the excitement, get a Hyundai.

Do you use box jumps for this (edit: 'this' being speed/explosive work for squat carryover) at all?

Do you use box jumps for this (edit: 'this' being speed/explosive work for squat carryover) at all?

I will use box jumps to develop explosiveness - and I will normally work in a similar set/rep - around 4-8 jumps - this depends on the exercise though.

I use a box squat into a high box jump alot, or weight high box jumps.

I have seen videos of 250lb-270lb powerlifters jumping onto a 48 inch box with 25kg dumbells in there hands, Also powerlifters jumping from there knees onto there feet with dumbells in there hands - that is explosiveness!

I have a pretty simple rule that some ppl don't agree with but if an athlete can jump high then they can squat heavy.

Last edited:
Joel and Markos, how would you guys differ the speed training if your trainee was in sports performance. Would you work on the base and then add more work for power once you are at a level you feel is strong enough for the athlete?

The best test for a lifters lifting abilities is jumping, both broad and high.

we do lots of box jumps at PTC.

2.jpg

18.jpg

Joel and Markos, how would you guys differ the speed training if your trainee was in sports performance. Would you work on the base and then add more work for power once you are at a level you feel is strong enough for the athlete?

Iam a big believer in building a strong base - using bench, squat and dead - these movements will be done heavy and then plenty of supplement work for building strength and muscle.

I feel theres no point in doing speed/dynamic work if the athlete is not strong/strong base.

I see this time and time again in Australian sport - you have a good athlete on field but in the gym he is piss weak - then once he/she reaches the top grade then they will train/teach them how to be strong.

All my rugby union/league players that come in here may have a good playing age with experience in A.C.T teams even Australian teams but there training age is ZERO - I have to start from scratch with semi professional athletes!

So yes - I believe in building a base before branching out into other things.

For us hobbyists, when can we consider ourselves to have a strong enough base to start incorporating speed / dynamic work?

Great timing.

I got a new client yesterday (thanks Pete from SS&S). This boy is 18, 6'7" and 137kg. He is trying for a Gridiron Scholarship from a college in Hawaii.

His 40 yard time is 6 seconds, needs to be 5.4 and his vert is 49cm, needs to be 70cm. I have around 12 months or so.

I asked about his lifting, he said he can deadlift 100kg x 8, so his lifting age is zero.

I have to get him strong before we think about anything else.

His dad asked if I could make him stronger and more powerful in that time frame. I told him I have an 18yo who deadlifts 215kg and squats 175kg, plus can put 120kg overhead. His dad thought they were extraordinary lifts for an 18yo.

I told him the kid weighs just over 70kg, exactly half his sons weight.

He starts lifting on Thursday.