• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifting belts

gents.bond

Hi There guys, perhaps a stupid question but how important it is to wear weightlifting belts while doing exercises such as squats and deadlifts. At the moment i am doing 130kgX5 squats and 140kgX5 deadlifts without wearing belts. but specially during deadlifts i feel tremendous pressure on my abdominal section. although i keep my abs really tight (Suck a bit air and then release gradually from mouth). I hope i wont injure myself or something like hernia ?? any suggestion
PS: I am doing ripptoes' workout and doing ab exercise after each session of main lifts!

Gents,

This forum tends to be very biased against belts because its considered a crutch, and in some ways it is.

But the thing is a belt also has a tremendous impact on safety, in particular hernias. Most powerlifters (in before konstantin training pic) wear belts, even raw.

A belt operates by giving your abs something to 'push' against. Your abs can therefore work harder and there will be more direct force and stability in the motion. Those who argue otherwise are mistaken - stress is taken of the obliques, not the abdominals.

How much you will get out of them depends on your build. If you have long legs and a short torso and low bar squat, like me, you'll probably get a lot from a belt. If you high bar squat and have good leverages you probably wont, and think the belt wimpy and useless.

Whether you choose to use a belt or not is your own decision, and dont let broism influence your decision, whether its pro or anti belt.

I've tried to make this reply as balanced as I can, its been beaten to death on here already. I would suggest though that if you use a belt get a decent one, like an outbak powerlifting belt, because those leather strips at rebel wont do shit.

Gents,

This forum tends to be very biased against belts because its considered a crutch, and in some ways it is.

But the thing is a belt also has a tremendous impact on safety, in particular hernias. Most powerlifters (in before konstantin training pic) wear belts, even raw.

A belt operates by giving your abs something to 'push' against. Your abs can therefore work harder and there will be more direct force and stability in the motion. Those who argue otherwise are mistaken - stress is taken of the obliques, not the abdominals.

How much you will get out of them depends on your build. If you have long legs and a short torso and low bar squat, like me, you'll probably get a lot from a belt. If you high bar squat and have good leverages you probably wont, and think the belt wimpy and useless.

Whether you choose to use a belt or not is your own decision, and dont let broism influence your decision, whether its pro or anti belt.

I've tried to make this reply as balanced as I can, its been beaten to death on here already. I would suggest though that if you use a belt get a decent one, like an outbak powerlifting belt, because those leather strips at rebel wont do shit.

Oh come on oly wheres the broism!! You forgot to use worlds like wimp vagina and soft.. :D:p

IMG_0109.jpg

Last edited:
tbh I'm interested in ditching my belt myself. If I'm gonna start competing in capo next year I'll keep it because it really does keep me safe and I get a lot out of it, but at the same time its a bit of a wank to use all the time.

tbh I'm interested in ditching my belt myself. If I'm gonna start competing in capo next year I'll keep it because it really does keep me safe and I get a lot out of it, but at the same time its a bit of a wank to use all the time.

Watch my 200kg deadlift at auburn gym and the 40kg guy wearing one in the backgorund doing tricep pushdowns.. oh i love that place.

Watch my 200kg deadlift at auburn gym and the 40kg guy wearing one in the backgorund doing tricep pushdowns.. oh i love that place.

I got my mate into lifting a while back and i went to the gym to see how he was going. 110kg partial squats with a manta ray.

I know the face palm ><

I got my mate into lifting a while back and i went to the gym to see how he was going. 110kg partial squats with a manta ray.

I know the face palm ><

:D:D

I love it, wait till you get into a conversation and he tells you his 1rm squat is like 250kg... 3inch drop lol

:D:D

I love it, wait till you get into a conversation and he tells you his 1rm squat is like 250kg... 3inch drop lol

Omg. his knees are shaking enough already, let alone if he has 200kg on the bar (not including the bar, which like belts is for pussies).

Omg. his knees are shaking enough already, let alone if he has 200kg on the bar (not including the bar, which like belts is for pussies).

Who was on here saying they dont count the bar because they consider it cheating??

Did i imaigne it or did someone actually utter those words..

Who was on here saying they dont count the bar because they consider it cheating??

Did i imaigne it or did someone actually utter those words..

I dont know, but I agree with their sentiments.

Real men don't count the bar - counting the bar is for pussies. If you're that desperate that you include the bar in your total you must be weak.

When Matt Kroc squats over 9000 the last thing hes worried about is counting the bar.

I dont know, but I agree with their sentiments.

Real men don't count the bar - counting the bar is for pussies. If you're that desperate that you include the bar in your total you must be weak.

When Matt Kroc squats over 9000 the last thing hes worried about is counting the bar.

Oly you troll lol..

Please also note you only wear belts doing bb curls in a squat rack or front delt fagget raises or what ever the are called...

I think theres a really interesting debate about where you draw the line with equipment.

On one level theres multiply demin suits and monolifts - way overkill if you ask me.

Then theres single-ply. Technically they're designed to provide joint protection, but increasingly their designs are becoming more advanced and lifters get even more out of them.

Then theres the raw where people fight over belts and knee wraps.

But on an even more base level those dinosaur trainees would argue that barbells are a tool - its not like you encounter barbells in everyday life, and a squat stand is an unnatural way of getting the bar from the ground. Lets not get into shoes which put your body at an unnatural mechanical advantage.

Where do you draw the line?

I think theres a really interesting debate about where you draw the line with equipment.

On one level theres multiply demin suits and monolifts - way overkill if you ask me.

Then theres single-ply. Technically they're designed to provide joint protection, but increasingly their designs are becoming more advanced and lifters get even more out of them.

Then theres the raw where people fight over belts and knee wraps.

But on an even more base level those dinosaur trainees would argue that barbells are a tool - its not like you encounter barbells in everyday life, and a squat stand is an unnatural way of getting the bar from the ground. Lets not get into shoes which put your body at an unnatural mechanical advantage.

Where do you draw the line?

Well its a sport...

are v8 supercar drivers cheatingbecause they have a car to get them around the track?

Of course different bars can help and of course shoes can help, that is where you draw the line.. Ill lift barefoot if i was aloud i dont really care.

I doubt i could pick up an atlas stone that weighed 100kg let alone 220

Anyway sleep time... too many 1rms not enough food ZZzzZzzZzzz i jsut dmeolished kg of cottage cheese.. L-tryptophan here we come!!

For me its the tools of the trade of whatever division you're in.

If you're lifting in IPF you're a moron if you dont wear equipment.

If you're lifting in capo you probably should wear a belt - arguably you'll get better results.

If you're crossfiting then go for whatever you want really.

use the tools of the trade for your intended purpose.

btw noobs, i'm watching eva tonight. u mad?

For me its the tools of the trade of whatever division you're in.

If you're lifting in IPF you're a moron if you dont wear equipment.

If you're lifting in capo you probably should wear a belt - arguably you'll get better results.

If you're crossfiting then go for whatever you want really.

use the tools of the trade for your intended purpose.

btw noobs, i'm watching eva tonight. u mad?

Nope:p because I have watched them all and im watching macross now..

macross-live-action1jn.jpg