• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Novice strength program

RhysG

Hey folks, I want to get into serious strength training using a home gym setup. I currently have a standard bb, bench press and some dbs. I am looking longingly at a MMPR Power Rack but won't be able to afford it for a while. Anyway, I really like the starting strength program but am shithouse at PC's (not confident of form) so I was looking at Kethnaabs Program on the SS Wiki which substitutes Pendlay rows for cleans. What do you all think of this program for a beginner?

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay Rows
I am 21, 88KG (mostly fat), 182CM and BMI of 26.6. I've lost about 16KG over the past year from mostly walking/riding and fluctuate around 85-88KG. But I want to put on muscle mass now so less concerned with weight loss. I am not really interested in beach muscles at the moment more laying down a good strength platform for the future.

My diet is pretty good (currently following Fadi's 2200cal diet - is this too little for me?) and I am not drinking alcohol. My dinner is pretty much the only thing I have little control over as I live at home but I may just make my own or change everyone elses ;).

Is this a suitable workout for me, what suggestions can you make to improve it?

Thanks, I will post up a journal once I get started officially.

EDIT: Also I'm not really sure what supplements I should be using (if any) to achieve the best results. I currently just use Spartan Nutrition WPI after workouts and that's it.

Cheers,
Rhys

Last edited:
To give you an idea of eating habits this is what I've eaten today so far:

Breakfast:
2 Whole eggs (scrambled)
Salad (mixed lettuce, tomato, 2tsp homemade dressing)
1 Small apple

Snack:
Large handful strawberries (fresh)
~150g Greek yoghurt
Splash of Skinny Milk
(Blended)

Small handful almonds (raw)

Lunch:
Small bowl Pasta with Bolognese sauce

Got footy tonight so gonna have to behave lol, no meat pies. Made a ham/salad roll.

The beginner program posted by PTC also looks really good:

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Is bent row the same as pendlay? Why straight leg deadlift?

pendlay row is where you have your back parrallel to the floor and you start each rep from the floor like a deadlift

bent row is where your back is ~45 degrees and the bar never (cant anyway) touches the floor

99% of the time you'll see people doing bent rows over penrows

Also Mark Rippetoe reckons to bite the bullet and learn how to powerclean, he reckons they are superior to rows in his program, something about developing power

But you'll probably do PTC's program anyway (i would)

It's always a good idea to introduce yourself properly; I know your age, height and weight, but it would be nice to know your name too.

In any case, I'm writing to suggest for you to include lifting/moving your own bodyweight instead of simply relying on machines, d/bells, or barbells. You can begin by doing few sets of push ups and possibly some step ups whilst holding a dumbell in each hand.

Take home message: do not restrict yourself to the iron but do invite your own body to enjoy the party as well.

All the best.

Fadi.

Hey Fadi, my name is actually Rhys so no surprise there (prefer using my real name). I'm currently studying but have lots of free time which is why I want to get in shape. Also I don't play any competitive sports so I'm mostly trying to get fit just for my own health. Mostly I've just been concerned with weight loss but am more interested in strength/muscle gains now that I've shed a fair amount of flab. Once I get going I am very determined so I really like the idea of the big compound exercises using my own equipment and progressing steadily rather than someof the shit pt's have had me doing in gyms previously.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I like the look of the PTC Beginner program. Will get back with more info as I progress. PS I love body weight exercises but how would you incorporate them into that sorta program? Substitute bench for purshup every 2nd week or something?

Thanks,
Rhys
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Fadi, my name is actually Rhys so no surprise there (prefer using my real name).
Thank you and sorry Rhys, I just never heard of that name before, my mistake.

Mostly I've just been concerned with weight loss but am more interested in strength/muscle gains now that I've shed a fair amount of flab.
Just great, because we're on the same page here. I would have said if your intention was to lose some fat mass, then start to think about building some muscles because that would take care of speeding up your metabolism since fat burns in the furnace of muscles; the more muscles to fat ratio you have , the more fat you will lose and the faster your metabolism would be and so it goes.

PS I love body weight exercises but how would you incorporate them into that sorta program? Substitute bench for purshup every 2nd week or something?
Please do take a look over here Rhys: Building the ultimate muscle machine: move your body through space. Program #1.

All the very best to you.

Fadi.

What's the likelihood of a PT at a normal gym (not centred on strength training) coaching my power clean to perfection ('cos that's the only way I would want to do it - too hard to replicate from videos). Maybe a good strength training gym in the Northern Suburbs? I'm certain I read of one in Footscray on here but I can't find it. However, I live in Coburg so bit annoying by public transport... maybe I'll con a mate into driving lol.

Unless you can magically find a good PT I doubt it. The gym in footscray is Apollo Gym. You can learn from videos etc practice and then record yourself then evaluate. It's not perfect but if you can not find anything then that may be all you have.
Posted via Mobile Device

rippetoe is full of shit sometimes.

Dude watch yourself someone one on the net will come looking for you!

I love powercleans and learnt them myself through videos and descriptions, they are not too hard to learn but take a bit of practice to get right. I also got lessons from one of my lecturers at Uni though later on so that helped a little too in 'perfecting' them.

I love powercleans and learnt them myself through videos and descriptions, they are not too hard to learn but take a bit of practice to get right. I also got lessons from one of my lecturers at Uni though later on so that helped a little too in 'perfecting' them.

Ya' know what Dave, I think you're both right AND wrong about cleans there. On one hand, it's not a hard concept, take the weight from the floor to your' shoulders. It's not rocket science. On the other hand, i think that as you get heavier & heavier you'll need to improve your technique, which IMO is quite complex....and can't possibly be taught correctly via books &/or video

Yep I agree, if you are really getting into them you will need someone to coach you as technique becomes very important.

Guess what. Max cleaned 115kg at less than 70kg bodyweight, all via reading and watching, is that heavy enough for you.

There is no doubt he could clean well over 120kg currently at his 77kg bodyweight.

He can hang clean 100kg for reps, cold.

He has read my books and watched YouTube.

Thats the extent of his coaching.

There are no absolutes in weight training.

I used to be right up rippetoes ass on this one (along with his 'gomad' bs) its utter crap.

The power clean has no carryover to the deadlift or bench, the bent row does, and it will also do a waaay better job for mass (which most of us start off training for)

Rippetoe picked the power clean as his 'core' exercise because he thought it would have a carry over to 'building power/speed'. theres no such thing as 'speed' work though.

also doing the power clean would warrant new and expensive equipment (olympic bar + bumpers) for one exercise. Yeah, I've heard about dropping your power cleans on your legs but this sounds like a dumb idea once 100kg+ is on the bar.

Not exactly 'practical programming' hey?

Guess what. Max cleaned 115kg at less than 70kg bodyweight, all via reading and watching, is that heavy enough for you.

There is no doubt he could clean well over 120kg currently at his 77kg bodyweight.

He can hang clean 100kg for reps, cold.

He has read my books and watched YouTube.

Thats the extent of his coaching.

There are no absolutes in weight training.

isn't there enough marketing about your gym & Max on this site? To every rule, there's always going to be an exception. The fact that Max has read & watched alot, as well as training along side of yourself, makes your argument makes no sense