• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is it just a strained abdominal?

MikeW

Hi Guys,

Another day another injury...

About a week ago I strained my gut while doing squats. I didn't think much of it at the time, just tied them in the wrong way, sort of at the top instead of at the bottom, and then when I lowered the weight at max work set I felt the upper left abdominal give a bit with a sharp pain. Finished the rep and the whole set then rubbed it a bit, stretched and kept working.

Problem is that almost a week on and its gotten worse if anything. I have trouble breathing now and can't sleep properly as it hurts almost whichever way I lie. When I hiccup it really hurts, and I can't sneeze at present as my body overrides and pulls out when I try and take a deep breath. Even sitting at my desk it hurts, and laughing is definitely out of the question. I walk around holding my side so I can support it a bit.

Its right up almost under my last rib on the left hand side and I can feel it when I breath in. If I stretch it out it hurts. Its too high to be a hernia or something mundane like constipation so I'm tipping its definately something to do with that work set of squats and the abdominals.

Any suggestions? Just leave it to heal or maybe some sort of ointment or strapping?

I was all set to do squats again tomorrow but might have to give them a miss. I did my week one of PPP for Deadlifts on Saturday and it was OK. I knew it was there so just really tied the abs in tight and concentrated on form and got all my work sets out. But deads don't involve abs as much as squats, at least the way I do them... ;)

Has anyone else had something similar or can suggest a course of action? First time this injury has happened to me.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Guys,

Managed to sleep better last night and this morning it is feeling better. Still sore and still hurts to hiccup and can't sneeze but its less of a constant distraction now.

Might just skip squats today and give it a chance to heal then try again next week.

Cheers,
Mike