• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Breathing Exercises

jon

Breathing Exercises
I'm sure you have heard it before , breathe in using yournose breath out using your mouth in and out in and out. We breathe between 12-18breaths a minute, it is such a natural act something that happens without useven thinking about it.

There is two types of breathing the correct and the incorrectway. Over time most adults have developed the bad habit of taking shallow breathes known as chest breathing which as a result we don't get enough oxygen into our bodies. When we breathe naturally and efficiently we use only the diaphragm to draw air into the lungs (belly breathing).Belly breathing can be done at times during the day when you remember. e.g. when in a queue, if need to calm down,driving etc. It helps relax your body and rejuvenate your mind, Increased oxygen taken into your lungs goes to your brain, heart and other organs, making them work more efficiently.Here are some simple breathing exercises for you to learn and practice, to helpyou stay calm and focused:

Belly Breathing:

This is the normal way to breathe but most adults do chest breathing instead. Lie comfortably on your back; place your hands on your belly,just below your ribs, with your middle fingers just touching.

Take a deep breath in, allowing your belly to rise naturally andyour finger tips to come apart a little. Hold the breath for a momentand slowly breathe out. This breathing exercise allows your lungs to fill with air right to the bottom, and to completely remove stale air. Practice for 5 minutes a day.

Breathe and Stretch:

This is a great breathing exercise to start your day orto revive you throughout a busy day.

Stand up straight; take a deep breathe in and at the same timestretch your arms up over your head, reaching and stretching as high asyou can.

Hold for a count of 3, and breathe out forcefully while you loweryour arms. Do 3 to 5 of these every morning to start your day right.

Breathing exercise for relaxation and sleep:

Do this exercise either seated comfortably or lying down. Close your eyes and focus on your natural breathing, gradually deepening your breathing and slowing the rate.

Concentrate on doing belly breathing and count your breathes backwards from twenty. In your mind, say “I am breathing in20, I am breathing out 20; I am breathing in 19, I am breathing out19;” and so on down to zero. Keep your breathing slow and deep.

Make these breathing exercises a daily habit, and you will soon feel the difference in your health, energy and mental alertness along with an increase to your breathing capacity.

Correct breathing is a prerequisite to proper weight training. Inhale deeply before starting on any exercise. Exhale in a controlled manner during the most strenuous part of the exercise. During the easier part of the exercise, you inhale again. In other words, you exhale when making the greatest effort whilst you inhale on the way back to the point where you started from. It is that simple!Try to do the exercises strictly as prescribed whilst inhaling and exhaling evenly. In this way you will teach yourself to breathe correctly during exercising.Correct breathing will ensure that oxygen will be transported evenly from the lungs to the muscles

Your words almost hypnotise me Jon. You have such vast knowledge on so many subjects.

Why can't I be you?

Excellent post Jon.
I loved doing yoga for many reasons but learning to breathe correctly was right up there. It has helped my training in so many ways, plus I'm now able to lower my blood pressure within seconds just by breathing.

It's a good thing, thank you.:)

It's not just me that's hypnotised by you either, Jon.

DBEE is quite enamoured with you from what I can gather, and would like to get to know you better. Go for it big boy, here's your chance. ;)

I would like the mod squad to consider giving Jon his own section so he can moderate it.

This needs to be expedited now I feel.