• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

muscle motion vs powertec power rack

11th hour

We’re trying to choose between the Muscle Motion and the Powertec power racks.

Powertec Power Rack ::...

Muscle Motion Power Rack ::...

After visiting a store on the weekend that sells both (but only had the powertec in store) here’s the lists of pros and cons we’ve come up with:

Powertec

Pros: Better sturdier joins at bolt on locations (according to sales guy), dips handles sturdy and attach one front, one back

Cons: Chin up bar has limited grip options

Muscle Motion

Pros: Good chin up bar

Cons: dips rack apparently attaches at one corner and can cause rack to rock when in use (according to sales guy), less sturdy bolt on joins (according to sales guy)

Everything else seems equal as far as we can work out.

I’m leaning towards the Muscle Motion – mainly as we intend to use the chin up bar a lot. I’m wondering if we should even worry about the dip attachment. It seems owners of the muscle motion have no issues with how sturdy it is (from posts I’ve read here).

What else should we be taking into consideration?

There is a force USA rack for 750. I linked to it in another post on power racks. It looks like a strong and secure rack, good quality.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Dave - found the link. What is it you like about that rack? The joins look solid. I'm not sure what the band pegs really add to it - not familiar with working out that way.

A friend has a Force USA rack, it weighs 100kg

I got the Muscle Motion from Gym direct, a site sponsor on here, it weighs over 200kg, guess which one is going to rock less?

I have only seen pics of the Force rack, and from what I could tell, it looked like every other rack that kept me from buying a rack for 2 years for my gym.

My needs are high as my rack gets used all day by up to 30 people a night, so I couldnt afford something cheap and nasty.

I'm sure there are plenty of good racks out there as I havent seen them all, but all I can tell you is the Muscle Motion rack I got has been superb, and I doubt anyone on here will abuse a rack as much as we do.

Can only speak for the Muscle Motion (no experience with any other) it is very solid, and worth the $$$. As for the dip rack I have that attachment and use it and mine does not budge, although I'm only 81kgs and other maybe somewhat heavier, I'd be surprised to hear it was unstable.

Do you have the commerical grade muscle motion rack Markos? It is twice the price of the Muscle Motion one that is being looked at. I do like the commercial rack though too bad I don't have 1250 for when I will be getting mine.

11th hour you wont be using bands so the band pegs are not important. You just want something that will hold the load well incase you accidentally drop a barbell from a height onto it right? The muscle motion one for 595 is rated to around 300kg while the Force USA one is rated to about 450kg (680 on the safety supports). The question is will either of the users be lifting that much for the 150 dollar difference (also you get 10% of at gymdirect.com.au so its more like 200 dollar difference).

Last edited:
I'm a little different, I cant put a price on safety in my gym, so saving $500 doesnt constitute a moments thought.

My cheapest bar costs $500 and most expensive costs $1100, and I have 5.

No cost cutting with gym equipment sorry, not for me anyway.

If I had my own gym where I train people I would not either, especially if they are lifting big weights. Or if I was looking to be squatting over the 200-250 mark.

For someone who may lift a 150-200kg squat max something less than the commerical MMPR would be ok as long as it is rated to hold much more than you lift, which these both are.

Nick was squatting 130kg 2 years ago at PTC, he is now squatting 230kg.

I dont know about you, but I hate buying things twice.

When I started PTC, 145kg was the top squat, I now have 15 guys benching more than that.

Vision is required for anyone buying gym equipment, more so if your cash poor and cant afford to buy things twice.

This is just my own opinion.

You bring up a very good question Markos.

11th hour how much do you think you guys will be lifting in the future? If you have someone who will be looking to go over 250kgs in a couple of years you may want to invest some more like Markos said.

Markos you are convincing me to get the commerical grade one which I already had my mind on for later. My wife is not going to like you much.

My previous experiences have been like this:

Gym 1 - Program written for me - was mostly machine stuff and some body weight exercises. Stopped going because I was having trouble finding the time.

Gym 2 - Program written for me and constantly rewritten every week or two - was mostly using a swiss ball (with or without weights), some machines, a few free weights. Because the program changed so much I never really got to move up in weights as I struggled with technique. I stopped going because of frustration - just wasn't the type of gym or program I was after.

The commercial racks are out of our price range for now. If we're not likely to exceed the capacity of a home use rack in the first couple of years we'd be willing to upgrade later if we need to. (Its looking more likely that we could find the extra money then than now).

Last edited:
Can only speak for the Muscle Motion (no experience with any other) it is very solid, and worth the $$$. As for the dip rack I have that attachment and use it and mine does not budge, although I'm only 81kgs and other maybe somewhat heavier, I'd be surprised to hear it was unstable.

Thanks Rev. If the dip rack works for your weight it should be fine for us too.

You will never out grow either of the power racks, The biggest squatters on this forum don't even come close to the max weight they can support.

You will never out grow either of the power racks, The biggest squatters on this forum don't even come close to the max weight they can support.

Max isn't 'max'. Its not what it can hold when a guy with 200kg on his back comes charging at it or what it can take without shaking like a bitch.

The muscle motion is the better pick right now - it has a better rep and a more conservative design.

I'd get the commercial muscle motion if you have the space, it'll be way more solid and once you consider a weights tree it isnt that much more.

If your a hardgainer you cant afford to cheap out on equipment.

Also, if I were the OP when buying a bench I'd get the commercial muscle motion flat bench - yeah incline benches are useful but unless you're paying absolute top dollar your losing on stability, which isnt worth it imo.

Last edited:
Also, if I were the OP when buying a bench I'd get the commercial muscle motion flat bench - yeah incline benches are useful but unless you're paying absolute top dollar your losing on stability, which isnt worth it imo.

I agree. I have a bench that can do incline, it's cheap, and it wobbles like all hell. It's not worth it, get something solid instead.

I have the MMPR rack and have used the commercial one a few times. The commercial rack is obviously much better, but you need to decide if you an afford it and if you have room.

The MMPR has done well for me so far, IIRC it's rated for 300kg. Got a great price from GymDirect. I doubt you'd be disappointed with it.

Unless I can find a decent bench 2nd hand this is the one I had in mind:

Muscle*Motion*White*Flat...

The commercial rack doesn't suit us right now because of price, space & the size of our weights (standard) - won't go on an olympic weight tree anyway.

We want to get started now on what we can afford now - we looked at the cheapest gym we could attend (PCYC) and worked out with two of us using it this equipment would have paid for itself in two years. So, if this set up gets us through two years we will be at break even. With sharing a car, being a little pushed for time and possibly moving to neighbourhoods without PCYC gyms we see working out at home as a great option if we can do it for around $1000 for power rack, bench, 7 foot standard bar and delivery. Factoring in the non-commercial MM power rack gym and fitness can definitely sell us what we need within our budget.

Last edited:
If you are picking up a few things shoot them an email and see if they can make you a deal. Try getting two quotes and work them against each other to see if they will come down anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Unless I can find a decent bench 2nd hand this is the one I had in mind:

Muscle*Motion*White*Flat...

The commercial rack doesn't suit us right now because of price, space & the size of our weights (standard) - won't go on an olympic weight tree anyway.

We want to get started now on what we can afford now - we looked at the cheapest gym we could attend (PCYC) and worked out with two of us using it this equipment would have paid for itself in two years. So, if this set up gets us through two years we will be at break even. With sharing a car, being a little pushed for time and possibly moving to neighbourhoods without PCYC gyms we see working out at home as a great option if we can do it for around $1000 for power rack, bench, 7 foot standard bar and delivery. Factoring in the non-commercial MM power rack gym and fitness can definitely sell us what we need within our budget.

Hate to disappoint but you're probably going to have to spend more than that.

A standard bar is just going to shit itself. They're not designed for anything over 100kg.

You'd be mad if you didnt swap the 700lb bar for a 1500lb test bar - $50 now will stop you spending $150 in a year or two. Also, your boyfriend will likely be able to squat 90kgs in a couple of weeks - you're going to need at least 180kg of plates for the first year.

Might cost $400 or so more than you bargained for, but its better than shit results.

This is what I'd do:

get this package - http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/3-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack--+-FIBEV-flat-incline-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-80kg-Olympic-weights-$1095/530.htm

ask adrian if you can swap the bench for the commercial muscle motion flat bench, upgrade to a heavy duty bar and then ask for the following weights combination:

4 x 0.5
2 x 1.25
2 x 2.25
2 x 5
2 x 10
2 x 15
4 x 25

If you were thinking long term you could get this package http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/8-...ty-Olympic-Bar--+-150kg-Bumper-Plates/618.htm and add more 25s, an ABC bar and some heavyass adjustable dumbells as you go.

Last edited: