• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press grip - how wide?

Dancelot

I've always used a grip width on the BP that is a thumb's width away from the smooth part of the bar. I thought that's a normal grip, and a close grip is right up the edge of the smooth, but I've seen references to my grip being a close grip.

Obviously I've seen many people with much wider grip, but I've heard that it's bad for your shoulders.

Is my grip alright? Is that what they used to use as an exercise before they started coming up with tricks to reduce ROM?

I use the same grip for OHP, clean and squat (back and front).

I use the same grip! so does wendler:

YouTube - Jim Wendler - Bench Press 370x7

Wendler said:
Over the years, I've found that a narrow grip is a little healthier in the long run than a wider grip. My grip is around 18" between index fingers. This may limit my weights in the short term, but it'll ensure that i won't have any pec or shoulder problems in the long run. It's better to press today and tomorrow than just to press today.

i thought a grip which allows the forearms to be perpendicular to the ground, when the bar is on your chest was good?

ps: i bench 87.5kg. what do i know :D

Yeah I forgot that for tall guys, the grip should be obviously wider than shorter guys like me. Forearms perpendicular to the ground when the bar is on the chest is the best indicator. That happens to be thumb's width in my case (short arms).

Cheers for the link, Oli. If it's good enough for Wendler, it's good enough for me! I prefer BPing for a long time instead of a few kgs extra right now.

Hello, I'm used to see ppl with much wider grip than that.

Its really two things.

Yes I prefer its forearms perpendicular to the ground, or angled very slightly out.

BUT this depends on were your elbows are which is the real issue here. Your elbows should be roughly on a 45 degree angle to you body, and not sticking out side ways at 90 degrees to your body.

At 90 degree it paces the stress on the shoulder, and involves a greater proportion of chest in the lift, and reduces any back involvment.

The closer the elbows get to your body, the more tricep involvement is required, such as a close grip (shoulder width) tricep press.

When arched up and a tad, and having your arms at 45 degrees, it also starts to use your delts, and your lats.

Your entire body should feel locked when you bench, ass clenched, and all the weight should be on your shoulder blades, and your ass just for stabilising, and feet driven into the floor, trying not to lift your ass.

Hey, that was helpful, my arms are at 90 degrees...I will try bring elbows in, cos my right shoulder hurts at times when doing BP.

I prefer my clients of normal height to go a thumb spacing out from the smooth.

For close grip we touch the smooth. Max recently close gripped 110kg, his best regular is 105kg, although he has been following PPP and hasnt attempted heavier, I'm guessing it may be higher than 105kg lol

Next week he hopes to pause 100kg at the Vics, a lift he missed at the Sydney titles a few weeks ago. He has done this at PTC recently.

How tall are you, macmad? I'm 171cm with short arms and little fingers on the rings is the snatch-grip for me!

I dont really know if what i do is right or not, i just go with how i am comfortable. I have my ring finger on the rings (lol) for regular bench and have my index finder on the line between smooth and knurling for CG.

Im 6'2.

Max has been moving his grip in. Its now on the edge of the smooth. He missed 100kg at the NSW Nats 3 weeks ago on his 3rd attempt, after making 90kg then 95kg.

Last night with his closer grip he paused 100kg extremely comfortably.

He will open on 100kg at least on Sunday. He is much more comfortable with this grip.

I have always found ppl with a strong upper back/strong triceps the closer the grip the better.

I train a rugby player (his dad played for the wallabies) - and he can close grip 150kgs for 2 reps - bloody strong tris/upper back.

I'm not that strong, but I probably have a stronger upperback & triceps relative to whatever else involved in a bench press. I get weaker if I use a wider grip.

I put my index fingers just outside the smooth rings which I think is a bit wider than normal but I prefer doing it that way.