• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic press technique

Dancelot

I've been looking for ways to improve my standing military press, so I thought what could be better than watching the old time masters doing their thing.

Educational Modules and Demos at Lift Up

I notice that they lean way back. I also see it in a lot of old time strongmen's photos. I only lean a little bit back so that the bar would clear my chin. Do you press like they do? Is it safe?

It was done standing at attention hence being callled military, it was once a powerlift but basically turned into a standind bench press in an attempt to lift more weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

The lean was the reason it was dropped from competition.

The technique I found that works best is to get stronger.

I only lean a little bit back so that the bar would clear my chin.

Move your head slightly back here - then return, not your body, it stays rigid...the bar ends up directly over the head.

On the negative portion, your upper arms should be down by your side.

As with any movement the spine, from head to lumber must maintain it's natural curvature throughout th movement

I've been looking for ways to improve my standing military press
Find your weakest link in the movement and work on strengthening it. No different to board bench pressing here except you're going to need a power rack with some pins instead of a bench and a board.

I second every word uttered by the two previous gentlemen: Markos and Silverback.

Fadi.

there's not a lot more i can say that Markos, SB & Fadi haven't already said. So i'll just build from what they've said.

It's important that you pull your head back & not tilt it upwards. If you intentionaly tilt it upwards the bar has the capacity to move forward, resulting in your entire body moving forward, meaning you lose control. Of course some tilt upwards is going to happen...but the idea is to have minimal.

Make sure your legs are soemwhat shoulder width apart. This will give you a strong base to work from. That being said, the MP has minimal (if any) leg drive.

Don't forget to incorporate your back into the lift. A slight lean backwards is ok, If you lean too far back, you'll fall backwards!!

thanks for the advice guys.. i have been cheating somewhat on this exercise. Been using the legs to push it up on that very last 2 reps of the lift.

Also do u guys do full lock out at the top as in hold for say 2 seconds?

Full lockout, hold not neccesary. Using legs is cool, its just called a push press thats all.

I normally have clients go up in weight doing MP, when they fail, they continue with PP

I normally have clients go up in weight doing MP, when they fail, they continue with PP

ah k cool. I was adding around 5kgs (2.5 each side) to my final lift for 6 reps. But had to do the last 2 with a PP. Should i continue next session with this weight but NOT do PP until i get the MP right?

DOnt forget to not drop the weight control the negative.. Im sure you know this..

This is why push press is good it allows you to control an even heavier negative then you could even get up to start with. I have been doing negatives with 80kg and it is helping alot.

I'd go to failure with MP first. Some lifters are terrific at PP.

Max PP 30kg more than he can MP, Nick does around 25kg more.

Neither of these girls can MP bodyweight yet.

im currently pressing 77.5kgs x4 atm near my BW (80kg). My 1rpm would be over the 80kg. So would this be considered MP? im quite intrigued.

yeah i try to count 2 seconds on the negative on all my lifts. Although i have had off days where i just drop it!!

Mate can you please post a vid of you doing MP with bodyweight, just to piss Nick off lol

Great work

yeah once i get somebody in the gym who is willing to film me :D
People already here stop and stare when i do deads and MP!!