• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Doms

Vman

Hey guys,
Just need some help regarding DOMS, ive been getting really bad DOMS lately for up to about 3-4 days afterwards.
Is there any way to reduce this.
Thanks,
P.S. Also i stretch and warm down properly.

Workout more frequently, less eccentric work. Go for the first idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

How long have you been training for? It can be pretty painful for the first couple of weeks if you have been sedentary for a long time, a few months later it's very different.

Things which reduce DOMS,
  • proper warmup
  • proper cooldown
  • proper stretching
  • lots of water during the workout
  • a pre and post workout drink with plenty of carbs and protein, eg a litre of milk
  • light cardio work on the rest days (half hour walk, swim, ride, etc)
  • good sleep
  • good food
  • no booze
Everyone says they have proper warmup, cooldown and stretching - they may or may not, we'd have to see it to know. Usually not. We judge whether it's good enough not by what you say, but by results. If you have nasty DOMS after the first few weeks, something's missing.

Water and carb/protein drinks help a lot. Sleep is key. Food is required for fixing up those damaged muscles. But booze will mess up your recovery if you have it in any real quantities.

Have nothing to drink or eat during the workout, have a late dinner, a few brews, and stay up till 4am and you are guaranteeing yourself heavy DOMS.

Workout more frequently
Posted via Mobile Device

that's the ticket, that and some form of active recovery.

If you squat once a week no amount of warmup, diet or rest will make much difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok thanks guys for the tips,
I drink plenty during and after workout, also have a dextrose mixed water before workout for carbs aswell as creatine then also have a protein drink within 15 minutes of workout.
I average around 8-9 hours sleep.
Maybe i should break up my routine more and go more often.

All that will help recovery but DOMS is special, it really should only occur if you are not having an adequate training stimulus frequently or if you have pushed yourself so hard that it is above and beyond your normal stimulus.

As an aside - You can really understand what areas an exercise works if you have not done that exercise for some time.

If you are feeling DOMS the next day- the most important thing is to just keep moving, not sit on the couch hoping it goes away.
Posted via Mobile Device

As an aside - You can really understand what areas an exercise works if you have not done that exercise for some time.

If you are feeling DOMS the next day- the most important thing is to just keep moving, not sit on the couch hoping it goes away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its so ****ing hard though lol...

:D

Hey guys,
Just need some help regarding DOMS, ive been getting really bad DOMS lately for up to about 3-4 days afterwards.
Is there any way to reduce this.
Thanks,
P.S. Also i stretch and warm down properly.

Hey V-Man, if your serious about your training and you are getting particularly bad DOMS, see a physio to work out the pain, it's expensive but it works.