• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How can i stop the "butt wink"

mick807

How can i stop the "hip wink" as i'v heard someone on here call it, i get to about parallel to the floor with my squat then like a switch it tilts my hips which then aggravates my lower back any way of stopping this.

so your bum dips? look at the 19yo squat is that what you mean? I do it as well though it doesnt give me problems, def flexability related.

yea like the 19yr old. I have a pre existing condition with my back and its the only exercise i still cant do till i fix the dip problem

a fantastic way to fix your squat is to squat. Like a lot of people, you've possibly got a lot of tightness in your glutes, hamstrings & groin area. Stretch pre workout

How can i stop the "hip wink" as i'v heard someone on here call it, i get to about parallel to the floor with my squat then like a switch it tilts my hips which then aggravates my lower back any way of stopping this.

Does this happen if you squat down with just the bar and no weight?

your hip is rotating because your hamstrings are fighting with your lumber.

The question "does your hip tuck using just the bar" is a good one.

Stiff legged dead-lifts could be the answer.

As pb says to be good at squatting you need to squat.
I will also add it's not how much you squat it's the movement itself that is critical.

Google tgu's and goblet squats.
Posted via Mobile Device

you possibly need to focus on doing supplement lifts such as split squats to work on strength in your hamstrings & glutes. It does sound like tightness in key areas tho.

I stretch pre & post workout. It's worth it. It takes a whole 5 minutes...and that's when you take your time!!

when u squat using just the bar try recording your technique and post it up here for us all, this would be the best way to offer advice. Another thing off the top of my head that causes this issue is when getting to the parallel position how far out are your toes pointed and are your knees following a path in the same direction as your toes? if your knees move inwards slighly this can causes your pelvic tilt. This was the main reason for that 19 year olds pelvic tilt, watch how his knees come towards the middle when he gets deep in the squat... u will understand what i mean.

when u squat using just the bar try recording your technique and post it up here for us all, this would be the best way to offer advice. Another thing off the top of my head that causes this issue is when getting to the parallel position how far out are your toes pointed and are your knees following a path in the same direction as your toes? if your knees move inwards slighly this can causes your pelvic tilt. This was the main reason for that 19 year olds pelvic tilt, watch how his knees come towards the middle when he gets deep in the squat... u will understand what i mean.

You are not correct.
Weak adductors will cause knees to adduct.

Be careful diagnosing.
Posted via Mobile Device

so your bum dips? look at the 19yo squat is that what you mean? I do it as well though it doesnt give me problems, def flexability related.

It's not flexability, it's a weakness, when a given muscle is weak it becomes immobile, it's a defence mechanism.

Bodyweight squat every day many reps, door knobs squats are great.
Tgu's
goblet squats
stiff legged dead lifts

keep squatting go as low a safely possible, over time your rom will improve.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not flexability, it's a weakness, when a given muscle is weak it becomes immobile, it's a defence mechanism.

Bodyweight squat every day many reps, door knobs squats are great.
Tgu's
goblet squats
stiff legged dead lifts

keep squatting go as low a safely possible, over time your rom will improve.
Posted via Mobile Device

in answer to the question of if my hip dips when using just that bar and no weight yes it does, so is this advice applicable in that case? thanks for all the replies

It's called butt-wink. When you squat down, shove your knees out and keep your chest up. Stance should be outer heels in line with outer shoulders, and toes pointing out about 30 degrees. Try this, and you'll maintain lumbar extension while deep, and also get depth. Seriously, try it now with just bodyweight. also use valsalva to maintain intrana abdominal pressure. Fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are not correct.
Weak adductors will cause knees to adduct.

Be careful diagnosing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the reply mate but im not talking about adductors here. im refering to the sartorius, it inserts on the iliac crest and when the knees are closer to eachother it adds tension to the sartotius and can cause pelvic tilt.. when the knees are outwards it reduces some tension on the sartorius.
Many other people here pointed out its flexibility issues, and yes it usualy is, mainly from the hamstrings and all i was doing was pointing out the posibility of the tilt from knees pointing inwards too much... I was not 100% diagnosing his fault, i was just pointing out another possible contributing factor.

I recently injurred myself with the same problem. My physio gave me glute streches and told me to get my mrs to roll a glass bottle up and down my hamstring. I haven't squated since my accident but if all goes well I'll be training again by next week. It makes me so jealous hearing you guys squat and dead so much and I never knew why I couldn't get those weights until now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Since I have this issue as well, I read this thread with great interest. Its always hard to work out who to listen to when theres conflicting answers given (in other threads etc.).

My physio basically said to just keep going but don't go to a depth where it occurs, stop slightly before it. And over time my ROM will increase. To fix the tightness in my glutes I do some stretches a couple times a day (pull knee to chest and pull it across until I feel it in the glutes etc.).

Then I read in other threads that guys say to go back in weight and work on form until it gets better. Problem is it happens for me without any weight! The butt wink is independent of weight for me.

I'll try adding door knob squats during the day to try and keep it mobile.

Any other advice ?

I recently injurred myself with the same problem. My physio gave me glute streches and told me to get my mrs to roll a glass bottle up and down my hamstring. I haven't squated since my accident but if all goes well I'll be training again by next week. It makes me so jealous hearing you guys squat and dead so much and I never knew why I couldn't get those weights until now.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know this is from a while ago, but I would like to know how this worked out for you ??

oh, and can a mod please change the thread title to be "Butt-wink" so that its easier to search for.