• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Books to Read

dave

Anonymous User
Gaucheharbor wanted to know some good books to read in regards to strength training, if you have any ideas add them up for him.

Science and Practice of Strength Training 2nd Ed - Zatsiorsky and Kraemer
Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning 3rd Ed - Bache and Earle
Strength Training Anatomy 3rd Ed - Delavier
Serious Strength Training - Bompa
Supertraining - Siff

These will all teach you the basics and underlying principles of strength training and then you can go from there with more advanced stuff. Bompa is good for periodisation explanations, zatsiorsky explains the how, bache and earle explain practical strength and conditioning, delavier explains anatomy and how lifts correspond, siff gives a lot of good applied physiology and biomechanics to explain training.

Never let go- Dan John

Practical Programming- Rippetoe & Kilgore

Keys of Progress - John McCallum

I've been looking for Supertraining for a while if anyone knows where to get it from?

Last edited:
I recommended these books in another thread, but here they are again;
  • Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik
  • Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes and Coaches by Greg Everett

Technique and general info = starting strength
Beginner/intermediate programming = practical programming
advanced programming for strength trainees = wendler's 5/3/1
philosophy behind training for non-elite athletes = beyond brawn
elite powerlifting = sheiko methods, eric talmant dvd set

I recommended these books in another thread, but here they are again;
  • Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik
  • Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes and Coaches by Greg Everett

Greg's book is one of the best training based book i've ever read

looking very forward to receiving dinosaur training in the mail. i love those old school books.
i also ordered he's new book which looks good as well- strength, muscle and power

i get worried that i'll run out of decent books to read.

Do u guys just order most of these online?
Had a look for a couple of the books mentioned here in Borders n Angus Robertson, but nothing.
Or are there some better bookstores for these books?

Cheers.

Danco on Flinders St going past Flinders St station and near the MCG etc end there is Melbourne Sports Bookstore (80 flinders st). You can get a lot of good books there. That or amazon etc from the US. Melbourne Sports Bookstore also have an online store now, just found in out. Good for some other people interstate too.

Last edited:
DaveDraper.com

vist the online store, when you order tell Laree Draper- Andy Mitchell sent you she is lovely.
She runs it and Dave.

Quite a good range of books there.
Dan John resides there now
Posted via Mobile Device

something alittle different than whats been mentioned so far, FAST FOOD NATION by eric schlosser. If youve ever had problems with diet than this is the book to read. very interesting and scarey at the sametime,some off the stats are unbeleivable like more children can pick ronald mcdonalnd picture than santa claus,amd 1 in every 8 americans have at some point worked at maccas from the slaughter house to the chemicals used to the fact that maccas is the biggest c hildrens TOY distributor in the world TWICE over i read this book 4 years ago and my 3 children havent eaten at fast food restraunts since

Danco on Flinders St going past Flinders St station and near the MCG etc end there is Melbourne Sports Bookstore (80 flinders st). You can get a lot of good books there. That or amazon etc from the US. Melbourne Sports Bookstore also have an online store now, just found in out. Good for some other people interstate too.

Thanks, ill give that store a crack :)

My best advice though is Amazon. I just bought 3 books from there for $200 inc shipping 2-5 international courier. If I bought them here (hard to find but borders.com.au have it and so do my uni books stores) they would have cost 300+ not including shipping. Big difference when you want to/need to buy a lot of books.

Man I'll need a second job to buy this list! Dave do you own a photocopier? :p
Posted via Mobile Device