• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The secret to weight training is...

...there is no secret.

But- if there ever was a secret it would be having the right training partner.
It is amazing how a little incouragement can produce that little bit more intensity of effort.
If I'm training with someone I prefer to actually train them, set equipment in advance, count rep's, take notes, insult and generally try to maintain the highest rate of intensity.
Then it's my turn- that person does the same for me.

If you had the chance to train with someone for a month, whom would you choose and why?
Doesn't matter if the person is dead or alive.

For me? Arthur jones, he changed the way we exercise.
Alive? Dr Ken liestner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jesus.

nar, probably Tony Gentilcore or Bret Contreras. i like the stuff they write and they seem like pretty cool guys.

Joe defranco
Dave Tate
Louie Simmons
Jim Wendler

In no order....but prob Louie 1st :)

Joe Defranco
Arnie
Richard Simmons - no one has notice this yet?
Fadi - gotta love his coaching ability.

Defranco would be great not just for the training but the experience of a real athlete focussed gym. As much as i admire guys like Tate and lou simmons their goals are not mine, but the experience would kick ass and be a great education.

I was actually just thinking of training partners earlier today. As I don't and have only had one reliable one (we did our sprint and agility work together for basketball) I really think it would be a great help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I dislike training partners, i dont like talking when im at the jym, I dont want to accomodate for anyone else, I dont want my prelift visualization/meditation to be disturbed by some training partner waiting/talking to me

Except maybe on Bench day or if shes really hot

id say the biggest secret is not the partner but EFFORT. the partner just allows more effort to be exerted

well i think a blonde tight bodied female training partner - i would imagine helps alot. Especially if she is spotting you on bench press and her double D's touch your forehead on the way down.

dreams glorious dreams, ill take an asian lady though as to not upset my wife when the lady looks completely different to her.

well i think a blonde tight bodied female training partner - i would imagine helps alot. Especially if she is spotting you on bench press and her double D's touch your forehead on the way down.

Why would her hands be on the bar if its going down?

I think my 'bar' would be going up if she hand her hands on it lol :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why would her hands be on the bar if its going down?

that's a damn good question.

I'm pretty lucky in the sense that there's a girl at my gym, who clean & jerks a damn lot more weight than I do. Actually, now that I think about it, all the girls in my gym move more weight than I do! Their great to train around! Good for motivation!

Like Brendon said the key is effort. Blood vessel bursting, gut busting, disc popping effort.

The second most important thing is being able to repeat that effort.

Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

How long have you been training hard for Nick? And do you take breaks where you lift NOTHING?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, attitude and effort are, no doubt.

But don't let that simplicity fool you. I think it goes way beyond just training harder. It has to do with four elements:

Literally, no one can . . .

a) Make the right training choices for his own body.

b) Understand accurately and clearly what's going on during his workout.

c) Push himself through A workout where the intensity of work is at it highest

d) Be consistent, day in and day out, with what's required for maximal and optimal results.

It just can't be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

How long have you been training hard for Nick? And do you take breaks where you lift NOTHING?
Posted via Mobile Device

Training hard since 2007, training properly since 2008. I do take breaks where I lift nothing. I took 10 days in thailand after the Ptc January comp, I took 8 weeks about a year before that to travel, and I'll prob takes 3 weeks this July when I'm in europe.
Posted via Mobile Device