• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dylan

anyone on here like beef jerky?
i love it, so today im making my own.
tonight ill let you know if its any good and ill post the recipe here
right now it smells soooooooooo good

jerkys done. tastes amazinggggggggggggggggggggg!!!
only took me 4 hours to marinade it and 3 to dry the beef, would marinade for atleast 24 hours next time though

post up the recipe mate, and what the process is, ive been keen to try this for a while but have no idea where to start

yeah here it is

first off you need beef. any beef is fine as long as you can slice it easily. you need to slice it into pieces about 1cm wide and 5-6cm long. its easier to slice if its partially frozen.

you then need to make the marinade. you can use any marinade you like, as simple or as complicated as you like. the marinade is optional if you just want to make plain jerky, you can make a teriyaki, bbq, spicy marinade etc. marinade the beef for atleast 4 hours, mixing regularly. 24 hours would be excellent. the marinade i used consisted of:

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup ketjap manis (a nod to my heritage? for those who dont know its a sweet indonesian soy sauce)
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 tomato sauce
1/4 cup tabasco sauce
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup Jack Daniels (i dont drink and i know some people on here dont, but this is an important ingredient. imparts a lot of flavour.)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 sauteed white onion
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
a spice mix consisting of dried chilli, cajun seasoning, fresh cracked pepper, thyme, coriander, oregano.

you can mix and match that recipe as much as you like. its probably not the healthiest recipe but then again its a marinade. its very important to taste the marinade and add flavours accordingly. put all these ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, and then take off to cool.

once the meat has been marinaded, grab the sliced meat and through one end apply a toothpick. do this to all the pieces. then, hang the meat inside your oven from the oven rack, and place a tray underneath to catch the drippings. put your oven on 100 degrees celcuis, leave the door 10-15 cms open at all times, and dry for 3-4 hours until the desired toughness has been reached.

then lay the dried meat on a chopping board overnight, in the morning put in a stay-fresh container, and you have beef jerky :)

Last edited:
Or ebay search "micks Jerkey", seriously awesome stuff, Shrek from this forum put me onto him and ive been buying kilo's at a time from him lol he has the hottest freaking jerkey ever... its some super spicy chilli :eek:

micksjerky

I'm with you jman. Micksjerky is the bomb. Been buying it for a few years now. Extremely good prices, awesome flavour and delivered to your door.
Man, that Bhut Jolokia is the hottest gear I have ever tasted. Check out micksjerky on ebay. I have tried all the others on ebay and they are crap.
I buy direct from Mick. micksjerky@optusnet.com.au He is a great guy to deal with also.

Another vote for Micks Jerky.
I ordered 2kg last time I think, Hot Chilli flavour.
I'm pretty sure it's $60/kg.
Sounds like a time consuming process to make the stuff yourself.

ripitup, what are you paying direct with Mick?

Hey Hulk,
I pay $60kg aswell. For all the stuffing around making it, it is'nt worth the hassle. Especially at that price. And he makes it to order so you know it is fresh when you get it. He is half the price of some of the other jerky companies. Keep up the good work.

And he makes it nice and dry, so you are getting more meat than some of the other moist jerky on the market.

I always get a jaw ache and soreness around my temples when i eat it, as I have to eat at least 5 or 6 pieces in a row, just can't stop.

How long does it take you to get through 1kg?

This jerky sounds drool-a-licious but buying 1 whole kg seems like a lot!

A bit off topic...

I tasted beef jerky for the first time yesterday afternoon, guy from work had it and after seeing this thread I'd give it a go... F**KING HORRIBLE! lol, I spat it out the window of the car, disgusting uggggghhhh you guys must have iron stomachs hahaha.

A bit off topic...

I tasted beef jerky for the first time yesterday afternoon, guy from work had it and after seeing this thread I'd give it a go... F**KING HORRIBLE! lol, I spat it out the window of the car, disgusting uggggghhhh you guys must have iron stomachs hahaha.

x9000

the guys at work eat it, you can smell it on their breath...

I've had geronimos, it is rubbish. Morgan, you are missing out. What sort was it. Some are rubbish, infact most are rubbish. 99% of the beef jerky out there is processed crap!!!!

The butcher in my local shops sells about 3 types - $50-$60 kg.
It comes it 30cm, rock hard strips, which give you a face ache after 15 mins chewing it, like a dog with a Schmackos treat!

I bought I think 4-5 sticks last week, cost me $25.00

That sounds a bit more like biltong:

oumas1.jpg

biltong.jpg