• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SQUATS: abs/torso/middle section

joshcore

i haven't done squats or dead lifts for 3 months.

Over this time Ive noticed my middle section/abs slowly fade away and get sloppy.

the question i want to know is:

1. how much do squats work/build the middle torso section?

AND

2. is it necessary to do all the crunches etc to build abs or is the squat and dead lift enough to build those middle sections?

thanks

Over this time Ive noticed my middle section/abs slowly fade away and get sloppy.

AND

2. is it necessary to do all the crunches etc to build abs or is the squat and dead lift enough to build those middle sections?

thanks

1. Lots.
2. Squats and deads. Think about it - if you are doing crunches, you are lifting half your bodyweight off the floor. Try squatting 1.5 x your bodyweight for 20 and see how your core feels.

Different methods, ie a crunch contracts and shortens the rectus abdom while the obliques etc are stabilising the torso. On the other hand when you squat you are stabilising the entire torso through, mainly, isometric contractions. Your core is designed for both (stability mainly then flexion) so adding in some flexion work is not bad but stabilising of the torso will be best.

Also what do you mean your abs are sloppy? Shrunk in muscular size or you have gotten flabby in the midsection?

both dave :) lost muscle and gained a little fat around the mid section

but strangely i havent gained or lost weight, im still 75-76kgs...

i think its cause i stopped squats .', lost muscle, but gained muscle in my back/chest/shoulders as i have been increasing weights in those areas...

Studies show that squats engage the abs more than basic crunches. Make sure to draw in your core during the squat for greater stabilization and recruitment.

With that said, I still recommend the following ab exercises as part of your core/ab work (my top 3):
-bicycle crunch
-captain's chair knee/leg raises
-planks

If you want to work your abs (and your entire torso), get Ab Wheels! Forget the other pussy ab exercises, that one is the devil!

so your going to let your core stop you from squatting heavy? or you could do various core exercises not only to increase strength and stability but also learn proper position, making those lifts safer.

Nothing wrong with doing assistance exercises to get your deadlift & squat up.

In fact, I did not deadlift at all (other than testing 1RM) for the last two months and my DL went up 22.5kg. All due to my assistance exercises.

Right now I can only do a handful of Ab Wheel kneeling roll-outs. If I can do say 3x10 standing roll-outs, I'm sure my squat and deadlift would skyrocket without me training much in those lifts. That bloody Ab Wheel hits your entire torso like nothing else.

If you're familiar with Ross Training, the guy is a 170lbs trainer of fighters. He trains with kettlebells, AbWheels, picking up kegs, sandbags etc. and doesn't deadlift. In a challenge a few years back, he was told that his training can't compare to someone who deadlifts 130kg. Ross picked up 495lbs, almost 3x BW, on the first day of trying.

There are many ways to improve your lifts, other than just doing those lifts.

AND

thanks

everything under the bar is working.

Squat if you can.
My only advice here is to tell you - you must own that weight before you progress.

I find at 48 a healthy spine doesn't need any ab "core" work.
I've done ab work from time to time, side bends and such.

heavy Farmers walks can do more than good than a trainee realizes
Posted via Mobile Device

what if your core isn't strong enough for heavy squats and deads?

Then you do what everyone does is you start light and use progressive resistance.

Maybe I need to spell it out. If you perform your squats and deads correctly with a slight arch in the back, big breath in and tight core then thats all the core work you need. Follow your squat set with 3x3 heavy front squats if you want to really fry your core.

Heavy is a relative term. Effort is not, maybe I should have said effort.

I'm a bit worried I'm gonna set off a bomb here but a few sets of weighted sit ups or hanging leg raises with your legs lifter to the pull up bar isn't a bad idea.

You'd get more from squats/dead without a belt to artificially hold your core tight.

lol. I'm not going to go there.

I'm into powerlifting and I'll use whatever tools (squat shoes, belts and chalk) available to improve my lifts.

I also think that squats, deadlifts and presses are the best 'core' strengtheners, but weighted sit ups are useful.

lol. I'm not going to go there.

I'm into powerlifting and I'll use whatever tools (squat shoes, belts and chalk) available to improve my lifts.

I also think that squats, deadlifts and presses are the best 'core' strengtheners, but weighted sit ups are useful.

This is a critical point.

These tools don't make you stronger but enable you to lift extra kg's which is the aim in this sport.

Used over protracted time would not be recomended.

In terms of getting stronger; the squat is key but safety is priority.
Posted via Mobile Device

Side bends are an underrated exercise, done properly this exercise engages the smaller muscles that run down the spine connecting the discs acting like power lines.
Posted via Mobile Device

I did heavy squats last night, then heavy 3x3 front squats and 100kg x 10 good mornings. My core has been aching all day.

Give that assistance work a go on your next squat day.
Posted via Mobile Device