• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo vs Conventional Deadlifts

Dancelot

I'm in a discussion regarding these two styles of deadlifting on another forum. The other guy says that since the ROM in Sumo is less than in Conventional, you can't compare the two.

Recently, I switched from conventional to sumo. It didn't really increase my DL (170kg conv, 172.5kg sumo - just a slight difference between two separate lifts, could happen with the same style). However, I switched because I have relatively short arms compared to torso, and sumo allows me to get closer to the bar without bending over way too much (hard to keep chest up with conventional) & feeling like I'm choking myself. Plus I have stronger legs than back. My form just looks much better with sumo.

So that was the argument I presented back to him. I also added that if sumo truly could increase your DL regardless of body leverage, then all top PLers would use sumo, but this isn't the case. Bolton, Magnusson and Konstantinov (who, being European, would be very familiar with sumo style) deadlift in conventional style and hold the current highest deadlift records. If sumo could increase their lifts, surely they would be doing that.

I think it's not the same kind of ROM reducing in, say, high bar OL squat vs low bar PL squat.

What do people here think?

Nick went for 12 months without improving his 230kg deadlift at PTC.

He switched to Sumo, pulled 260kg a short time later.

At my last comp two deadlifters pulled more, 273.5kg by Chris and 265kg by Simon, Matt also pulled 260kg. That trio used conventional.

Sumo uses lots of hip and glute strength as opposed to more lower back for conventional.

Use whatever feels best for you and dont worry about others.

Nina has pulled 127.5kg conventional but shes hit a wall. Shes gone all the way back to 100kg and is learning Sumo. No ego, she just wants to pull more weight so she is going to find what style suits her best.

Everyone that lifts should do the same.

This is not the same as wide stance squat and arched benches, were using a very different set of muscles to move the bar from the floor till erect.

Shortening the ROM on the deadlift does not mean more weight, otherwise EVERYONE would do it, just like they do with low bar wide stance squats and belly benches.

Let us know how you go with Sumo big fella

Cheers Markos.

I do have stronger hip & glutes from my martial art background and sumo just feels natural to me, like high bar squat. Used to carry buckets of water up & down the stairs for training, Shaolin-style with buckets hanging off a stick across the shoulders.

I'll fully switch to sumo and see how I go on that 200kg DL program.