• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to identify the brand of Olympic bar?

minithemeezer

Odd question, but the Oly bar on the bench press today was lovely and I couldn't find any obvious identifier as to its brand.

The centre had only about three inches of knurling (like a cheese grater), about three inches on each side of the centre was plain metal and the remainder was knurled. The guide lines were very thin.

Just one those things that'll bug me until I know. Dr Google isn't helping much.

Last edited:
You just described 99% of the Olympic bars I have used.

The quality ones have a cap in the end with their name. Eleiko, Ivanko, Zhang Kong, ABC, Pendelbury etc. Most cost between $500-$1700. Very few are found in health spas. All quality powerlifting and Olympic lifting clubs use them exclusively

Generic made in Asia ones wont. You find them in 99% of commercial gyms/spas etc

The reason being the average commercial gym member will not care for the bar and use it in a power rack or drop it without bumper plates, which funnily enough are also never seen in these premises.

My guess its a cheap ebay bar if it doesnt have a cap in the end with id.

I also have a rare Hampton bar, its 5' and weighs 12.5kg, I've never seen a bar with sleeves this size before, great for the girls

Thanks, Markos.

It's not ABC, York, Werk San or Eleiko in my process of elimination. The middle knurling seems narrower than the bars in your You Tube videos and the guidelines narrower.

I can't let it go now, and feel like a dork spending Friday night at home searching the web for the mystery bar. I'll ask Billy and Simone if they bought it secondhand from a closed-down health spa :D.

Yes my power bar has "Australian Barbell" written around the outside of the black end caps.

Some of the aust barbell ones are utter crap.. Knurling is terrible but that is mainly on the bush bearing ones that you see in fitness first. When i went to coffs harbour for a few weeksa the gym there had an aust barbell one with good knurling and roller bearings I didnt want to come home it was so much nicer to use and cleans were so much better with it..

I can only imaigne what an even better one would be like...

Apparently aust kettle bells have some decent cheap ones atm..

I think best bet is to have 1 bar for cleans olympic lifts good ones, and then a moderate bar for squats deads and using in a rack...

out of curiosity, what do you guys prefer? ballbearing or brass sleeve? which one lasts longer under drop conditions? and what do you guys look for in knurling? rough or moderate, and spacing? im kinda new to all this and im keen to see what the words of experience reveal.
Cheers,
Jeremy.

PB, your joking right, 1987 Olympics lol, where were they held lol

Needle bearings only advantage is on the olympic lifts. Zero benefit on squats,benches,deadlifts.

I have 3 powerbars with bush bearings and one weightlifting bar with needle bearings.