• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The Hepburn press course.

Work out 3 times a week.

Take a weight, lets use 50kg and perform 3 reps, 5 sets.

Keep the same weight but add one more set each workout until you have done 10 sets with the 50kg.

This will take you 2 weeks or 6 workouts.
Now drop back to 5 sets, 3 reps, but add 2.5kg.

Continue the addage of 2.5kg every seventh workout.

This is the greatest pressing course known to weight lifters and body builders.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you do this for? Do you start pressing at the heviest weight possible for 5x3? or do you ease into it i,e start at 5kg less than the max weight you could move?
At 80kg, i can get 80kg o/h, but its by far my WEAKEST lift.
It needs help :)

How long do you do this for? Do you start pressing at the heviest weight possible for 5x3? or do you ease into it i,e start at 5kg less than the max weight you could move?
At 80kg, i can get 80kg o/h, but its by far my WEAKEST lift.
It needs help :)

Not sure, whatever you could do 5x3 with.

How long do you do this for? as long as you can.

This is the classic double progression routine.

Personally i'd think, as a novice (someone who can make linear progression every workout- with correct training intensity, food and sleep) would do well if not, dare i say, better on a Starting Strength program. This way your first workouts, for the first two weeks, you can add 2.5kg/3.25kg per workout, and then slow down to 2.5kg/1.25kg per workout. I've seen people progress from 30kg x 3 x 5 to 80kg x 3 x 5 doing it this way. And instead of the weight going up every 7 workouts, it goes up every workout. Not dissing your theory, but i'm saying this alternative (FOR A NOVICE), this one works really well.

The Hepburn press course.

Work out 3 times a week.

Take a weight, lets use 50kg and perform 3 reps, 5 sets.

Keep the same weight but add one more set each workout until you have done 10 sets with the 50kg.

This will take you 2 weeks or 6 workouts.
Now drop back to 5 sets, 3 reps, but add 2.5kg.

Continue the addage of 2.5kg every seventh workout.

This is the greatest pressing course known to weight lifters and body builders.

I`m going to give it a try.I`ve had a crook shoulder for a while now and have lost a bit of size.Need to build up again so may start with very low weights.

How does this translate into other exercises?

I`m going to give it a try.I`ve had a crook shoulder for a while now and have lost a bit of size.Need to build up again so may start with very low weights.

How does this translate into other exercises?

Hepburn has a full-body course, it uses the basic exercise's with a variation of this rep progression. A very lengthy workout.

This is a program designed to improve the press, as I said he gave no mention as to whether you could incorporate into to other lifts.

I think it's a good idea to start with light weight Zarkov.

No comparison with starting strength and this. This works.

But that Hepburn guy, what would he know? lol

Only man to ever defeat the great Paul Anderson, and the first man to ever bench press 500lbs, many years before steroids and assistance gear.

One of the strongest men to ever walk the planet.

Great program Andy

Sounds like an awesome program, I'll switch to this when i stall too much on Rippetoes 3x5.

They tell us to press 3x a week, when do we bench press then? On rest days or after pressing or...?

Cheers

I suppose you could do the press course, a pulling excercise then your bench

or vice versa

I actually get a better upperbody pump with the military press then what i get with bench, and its funner. Havnt trained bench for weeks though i do weighted pushups and weighted dips

I'm currently doing this and MP 3 times a week, on bench press day as well. I do my BPs, a pulling exercise then onto the MPs.

I am pretty sure you could apply this training to any lift..

I find this helps me get strong better than 5x5 etc, as trying to increase reps everyweek, is easier than increasing weight every week, esp once I have got up to my max.

while I dont follow the routine to the letter I loosly follow a similar way of training.