• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Name your lifting inuries...

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
We have all been on the receiving end of injuries in the gym
Tell us your injuries

I dislocated the thumb in my right hand a few years ago when I was trying to open a car door that I thought was stuck. Turns out it was locked.

Really set me back for ground work as it was one month before nationals (olympic lifting).

My only gym injury has been doing the seated row. I lost an almost imperceptible amount of form at extension, felt an almost imperceptible click in my lower spine and kept on training. Big fail.

Was about 10 years ago and still have to be careful to stay mobile as extended periods of standing, sitting or laying around cause it to seize. Doesn't impact my training though :). Ice massage has been a godsend.

Cycling is another story:

- Face-planted the back of a car when my front wheel got stuck in a piece of missing road and launched me into the air on the way out. Good thing the car was a bubbleback Ford Laser, but the woman driving must've thought she had a big Garfield stuffed toy spread across the back of her car. I emerged remarkably unscathed apart from impact soreness.

- Countless falls and scars on the track from fast formation work on road bikes and panic merchants using their brakes :mad:.

- Hit by a car while on Geelong Road riding to a race. Not sure how I got out of that one as the driver later said he was going to leave me on the road while I was unconscious, however, he said a pang of guilt crept in and he parked behind me to protect me from being cleaned up. Twisted a lot of body parts but nothing broken.

twinged back once or twice, nothing serious, and only other thing i tore one ofthe tendons whic h hold your lower abdominals to pelvis or sometihng like that.. friggen hurt.. droped a 20kg plate on my foot once thats all for lifting injuries. if your talking about sporting injuries like footy, soccer then thats a massive list. lol

Was just about to post up that I had hurt my wrist doing bench press wrong. Stupid really just doing far to much weight. Did a light session today in the gym but couldn't lift much at all due to my wrist. Has anyone got any advice as to what I can do or not do to help fix it up? Should I do some light weight isolating them trying to build them up or stay away from the gym for a while? Thanks in advance for any help guys. Cheers :)
Posted via Mobile Device

torn triceps tendon( Dips)
torn biceps ( both sides )
torn quad outer ( squats )
right hip joint (leg press)
torn left upper butt cheek ( dead lifts )
torn left hamstring ( Running with 4th class kids )
torn right hamstring ( leg curls / not enough warm up )
left and right rotor cuff BTN press ( back in the lifting era )
Lower back herniated disks ( megga deadlifts and squats )
Ligament, disc nerve damage in low back. HAd to learn to walk again ( laid up in hospital and no walk for 3 months)
hernia ( dead lifts )
Both knees make a gut wrenching crackling sound on leg extension machine ( can hear em over the gym music )

torn triceps tendon( Dips)
torn biceps ( both sides )
torn quad outer ( squats )
right hip joint (leg press)
torn left upper butt cheek ( dead lifts )
torn left hamstring ( Running with 4th class kids )
torn right hamstring ( leg curls / not enough warm up )
left and right rotor cuff BTN press ( back in the lifting era )
Lower back herniated disks ( megga deadlifts and squats )
Ligament, disc nerve damage in low back. HAd to learn to walk again ( laid up in hospital and no walk for 3 months)
hernia ( dead lifts )
Both knees make a gut wrenching crackling sound on leg extension machine ( can hear em over the gym music )

wow. I suppose it's true what they say, if ya gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shit Vadernator. How the hell can you keep lifting!!

What advice can you pass on to me to prevent the same things from happening?

Shit Vadernator. How the hell can you keep lifting!!

What advice can you pass on to me to prevent the same things from happening?

Advice from little old me?

LOL

1)
When you are at your all time best you always feel superhuman. You always need a little more.
My injuries are usually from letting my rep ranges go lower and lower chasing weight. It happens when you begin to level off. No gain. So you kid yourself you are still getting stronger. You find yourself doing sets of 3 or 4 reps with insane weight.

Not from being stupid..... just from being driven and discovering that things do have limits. Limits we dare not acknowledge.

2)
Low carb diets
Being a 1950's / 60's comic book design, I am happy to have one of those huge arnold / lou rib cages..... BUT I also get fat FAST. I tend to diet down from time to time. Stupid Bulk up cut down brainwashing. None the less I find that fewer carbs make me lose flab.

When muscles are full of glycogen, they are hard as steel and round. On low carbs they are deflated balloons. Never go on low carbs for a few days then try to do your normal lifts. I was on low carbs when I had my bad back injury and also my bad torn triceps muscle. Muscles are just hydraulics. Our bodies are composed mostly of water. Carbs give the muscle cells volume power and size. Never train heavy on low carbs. You will tear yourself.

Hope this makes sense!

Rob

Constant injury's to my upper back (muscles down the side of the spine). I went to my chiropractor who told me to reverse my breathing when shoulder pressing/incline bench pressing etc. He showed me how when breathing in your spine has more support. Since then I have only ever felt it once when i was going for max weight awhile back and was really giving it everything.

My shoulder rotator is hurt at the moment but seems to be recovering well.

What weight were you squatting and deadlifiting when you hurt your back?

That's an impressive injury list Vader. What weight were you deadlifting to herniate your disks?

Over time the weight just got to me. There is no magic number where our disks will bulge. Mine have worsened over time. Now they are F---ed.

You can train all of your muscles, tendons ligaments etc but brains and disks don't respond well to punishment. Disk damage to lifters is like a boxer being punch drunk.

As far as I am concerned anyone who can squat with 3 plates would do well to just increase reps rather than tonnage. Our spines are a fragile design and have a lot of flaws. Train your muscles not your ego.

As for dead lifts. Man I used to do shrugs with 6 and 700 Lb when I was in my 20's. The mild steel bar would be boining all around. Made me feel like herculese.

Same with calves. Try one leg calf raises with a heavy dumbell held behind your butt. You can totally fry your calves and the leverage is all at a mechanical point beyond your power. It is heavy as hell but no load on spine. I bet every dude who can do calf raises with 200kg or more on the machine would need no more than a 35kg dumbell or kettle bell on one leg raises like this.

I am old wise and brittle.

My ego is all but gone. I train at home and just have fun.

Rob

I woke up yesterday a sore left right back. Must've been from the deads, miltary's, bench workout on Friday.
I will still squat tonight, phuck it.

3 plates = 3 x 20kg each side. Back in my day it was 3x 50Lb :)

Sorry..... old school lingo. :p

I allways thought "plates" were 25kg /55lb, The REDs..

I guess my gym predominantly has 20kg plates for the big uns.

As fara s injuries go I musnt be trying hard enough, I occasionally upset my lower back, by straining it, or not streatching enough.

I do get sore shoulder joints.

forearm muscles (near the elbow) from doing too many heavy benches.

most anoying was my right wrist were the ulna would kind of pop out when i did curls, this caused considerable pain and limited almost all my pulling exercises, and to a lesser extend my pushing exercises, I wore wraps for about 6 months, havent felt it in ages......touch wood!