• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mixing lifting with sport (rugby)

Arfwit

WTF, I'm a Kunce too?
I've done weights before but have only started with the compound lifts the last few weeks (The shed was put up, and I made up some squat racks) but with rugby season coming closer I'm after some advice for mixing the lifting with my rugby training and games.

At the moment I have training on Wed nights (until easter) then it will go to tues/thurs nights, with games on saturdays. Due to work finishing late/being on call I haven't had set workout days/times, but I've been doing deadlifts+military press on one day, then the next workout is squats+bench+upright rows. The weights have been going up fairly steadily as I find where I'm at.

I was thinking:

Mon: Squats+bench+rows
Tues: Rugby Training (mostly cardio, maybe some scrummaging/lifting)
Wed: Deadlift+MP
Thu: Rugby Training
Fri: Rest
Sat: Game
Sun: Death

My last lifts were:
Deadlift: 80kg 3x8
MP: 30kg 3x12
Squat: 60kg 3x8
Bench: 55kg 3x8
Upright Row: 25kg(maybe more, my diary's in the shed) 3x12

Is there other lifts I should do as well or instead of the ones I am doing? It's country rugby and my position is determined by who isn't working and turns up, but I generally play in the forwards (I started 3yrs ago on the wing, to hooker, to everywhere else except #10)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm hoping the weights will help my rugby as well as with work, and it's not hurting the waistline either.

looks good.
drop the upright row and add either bb row or db row. and add a power clean/power curl to Wednesday session.

also i would drop the reps to
monday
Squat: 70kg 3x5
Bench: 60kg 3x5
db row: 3x10

wednesday
Deadlift: 100kg 3x3
MP: 40kg 3x5
powerclean 5x3
chin ups 3x5

Last edited:
I play competitive rugby in Newcastle.

I have used a few different methods. I used a 5 day split during preseason.

I am 'in season' now, got trials and such atm, played 2 full games today, muscle wasting much?

Anyway I use Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. To sit here any type out the program would be too much at 1230am. I will simply say, its very simple and I have it mapped out the exact same as your weekly split! 2 Days a week.

Two things I believe as an athelete you must add into your workout are. Chins, pullups. Jim Wendler prescribes these to be done in between sets of Compound Lifts, for reasons I am unsure, I guess time/conditioning, definetly gets the heart rate up. I don't do mine between sets. Also consider performing Glute/Ham Raises, a strong pair of hammers is vital to an athlete! As Mentioned above Powercleans are a must for a rugby player IMO.

I'll have a flick through the book tomorrow and make some suggestions on progression, deloading and conditioning etc.

i do agree that 5/3/1 is a good program and i enjoyed using it but i dont think that the lifter is strong enough to use it. 5/3/1 calls for maxing out on the last set and unless form is good then i think it will do more harm than good.

in 8 weeks the lifter could be ready if he works hard

Thanks for your help lads, I'll try making the changes as you suggest haz and see how I go.

I just need to find a way to do the chins, and I'll even try the ham raises, though I don't know how I'll go to begin with as I often have problems with my hamstrings (hopefully this will help).

I need to sort out a tripod for my video camera so I can get someone to comment on my form for the various lifts.

Cheers.

If you have weak hamstrings then they will definately need strengthening but also stretching, tight hammies are a leading cause of hamstring tear. Also eccentric strength of the hamstrings play a large role in strains as you are most likely to strain your hamstring in a stretched yet under tension position.

Your weight work would also depend on your rugby training, because you are looking at recovery between session as your most important factor. That means eating lots, stretching well after sessions, hot/cold showers after sessions, compression and/or ice on any injuries to help with inflammation etc. I would stick with big compound lifts similar to what you are doing, and as Haz said drop the shrugs for the rows. You want to keep volume and intensity at a good level but for you at your stage I would not overdo either of the two. Too much volume will make it hard for you to recover with all the rugby and too much intensity at your level could lead to injuries and reduce your recovery ability.

Keep progressing for the year and see where your lifts are at every 3 months. Look to introduce a basic periodization of 6 weeks heavy and 2 weeks lighter it will help you recover better in the long run and should keep those gains continuing.