• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Personal Trainer/ gym instructor part time jobs?

If you have the right certs then yea pretty easy to get a job in a gym.

What are you looking at doing? - just normal everyday pt?

If you have the right certs then yea pretty easy to get a job in a gym.

What are you looking at doing? - just normal everyday pt?

I have a cert from SAFE - Scandinavian Academy of Fitness Education here in sweden and through them a FISAF cert.

I would love to train people that competes in bodybuiling and fitness becouse that is what i have done here in sweden but i can not be to picky when it is about to earn my living while i study.

/Mattias

im sure it wont be a problem, you may have to contact someone here to ensure that your credentials meet aussie requirements, worst case you have to enrol in a fast track PT program (only 10 weeks at most i think) for a couple of grand, then your good to go... since you already know your stuff it shouldnt be a problem for you to get through in 10 weeks :) best of luck with the move mattias.

you may have to contact someone here to ensure that your credentials meet aussie requirements,

There are no requirements AFAIK.
It was discussed some time back.Anyone remember the thread?

I have a cert from SAFE - Scandinavian Academy of Fitness Education here in sweden and through them a FISAF cert.

I would love to train people that competes in bodybuiling and fitness becouse that is what i have done here in sweden but i can not be to picky when it is about to earn my living while i study.

/Mattias

I can't see a problem with this man - Maybe find a job in a gym then do some pt on the side till you have enough clients to just do that.

What are you studying by the way?

I just had the most obvious idea Matts.
You are studying at the Gold Coast campus right?
They have a gym.

There are no requirements AFAIK.
It was discussed some time back.Anyone remember the thread?

You need a cert 3 in fitness to be a gym instructor
You need a cert 4 in fitness to be a personal trainer
You need your first aid/CPR to be both I believe?
A lot of places want you to be registered with organisations like vicfit as well, but I dont know much about that.

To be honest you would probably not do a fast track course, you would just get credit for what you have already done, maybe doing a module here and there to fill in any blanks. But then again, getting them to recognise your previous experience might take more than 10 weeks...

I looked for personal trainer jobs on seek.com.au today and there were HEAPS.
Most might be rubbish, but getting something to put food on the table while you keep looking might not be so hard.

Just check out:
www.seek.com.au

Hope that helps :)

You need a cert 3 in fitness to be a gym instructor
You need a cert 4 in fitness to be a personal trainer
I disagree.Most gyms may require these but there is no national standard.
Just check out Markos` situation.

You need your first aid/CPR to be both I believe?

Schools require you to have this to pass the course.

A lot of places want you to be registered with organisations like vicfit as well, but I dont know much about that.

Again up to the gym.

Found it.

No qualifications at all.

When I began in 1979, there were no certificates, you were simply hired in the gym and trained by someone with more experience than you.

If you got lucky, as I did, you got someone smart. I had a brilliant teacher at my first gym and second gym.

The word PT didnt enter the equation till the 90's, over 12 years AFTER I had been doing the job.

What do you think they were going to teach me by then, how to wipe down a bench.

Not really much point in getting a certificate to work in a field I had no intention on ever entering, PT in a commercial gym.

F U C K , I couldnt even stand training in one lol

My way is not for everyone. The clients that train at PTC have all trained elsewhere before, very few first timers.

What would make someone leave a nice airconditioned/heated gym full of the latest equipment with PT's at your beck and call.

I wonder.........................

Love that rant style of posting Markos!

The reason PTC is succesful is because the results people get there. Its all word of mouth. Anyone with a sound knowledge of training could replicate it.

I have a client with his own studio. He hires clients of mine, with no qualifications, to work as PT's in his gym. He even advertises on my forum for PT's.

He has been operating for close to 10 years, he has had a number of PT's. A certificate is no longer as important to him as sound knowledge on training.

He even approached me about certifiyng lifters at PTC to work in the industry lol

Knowing full well how the industry works, this is not viable. Its a money making scheme.

One friend worked in a well known chain, where the PT's all paiud a fee to operate of the floor.

That gym makes $297,000 pa before a single client walks in the door, just from PT's. It is one of the smallest gyms in its chain. I wonder if they also get a kickback from the institution where it hires all its PT's from.

I'm not interested in participating in an operation like this.

I have had stacks of enquiries about opening a PTC franchise in another state. Some business guys came to visit and said they didnt think it was possible. They said I was PTC, that I wasnt transferrable lol

I have a gym asking me to take some KB cardio sessions for them during the day, for a handsome fee.

I guess if you know what your doing, and you can achieve results, word will spread and you can replicate what has happened at PTC.

The only negative comments I ever hear are from people who have never set foot inside PTC. Anyone that has ever lifted there loves it.

I am currently having a promo video being filmed by Max, simple training footage of every day lifters going about their training, no comp vids or posed stuff, just workouts.

When this goes up on the website, you will be able to see exactly what we do. You can then work out for yourself if indeed you can do it.

I have no doubt there are enough disgruntled lifters in commercial gyms to make any venture like PTC achievable anywhere.

As long as you have knowledge and desire.

Hope this helps.

Zarkov, an advantage I had before I started PTC was I was already in business. I have had my own business for years. Very easy to start a new business with all the infastructure in place. I had a good rep with my insurer, so the fact I had been doing this job BEFORE there were qualifications made getting insurance piss easy, same as all the tax stuff. My wife has had her first aid certificates etc.

The council have been round and discussed parking etc. They explained billboards, of which I have none. No parking on neighbours nature strips. Most of my neighbours train at PTC, no issue there anyway.

Everybody has been super supportive and helpful. This has been super easy compared to starting a business without ever having done it before.

its not for everyone though. When people ask me if going into PT is a good career choice, I laugh at them.

Kyle has expressed the numbers being churned out by these institutions, what a joke.

A PT that trained at PTC worked at Core earning $18 an hour. In 2009, with qualifications. Great career choice.

Another worked at FF, he quit after 7 months because he was going broke. They still kept deducting his "rent" from his bank account till his 12 months were up. He has gone into the armed forces now. Still, he's a qualified PT.

Perhaps you are right Zarkov, it certainly seems that way.
I was under the impression no one would work as a PT without insurance these days, and that to get insurance/registration you needed to be certified.

Either way, as long as Mattias gets a job it's all good :)

No commercial gym will take you without formal qaulifications or relevant experience, its an insurance thing.

Private studios/gyms are a different story.

No commercial gym will take you without formal qaulifications or relevant experience, its an insurance thing.

Private studios/gyms are a different story.

Hedge your bets.Good post numbnuts.

That fact remains that Matts has qualifications and as there is no Australian standard or criteria I can`t see any problems with getting employment.
Especially at the gym of the uni he will be studying at.

• No qualifications or registration (ie membership of the professional organisation) are required to call yourself a PT or coach or anything like that.
  • mainstream gyms will only employ qualified people, but vary in whether they require registration
  • small-scale gyms, and self-employed people, these can do what they want
  • insurance is harder to get if you are unqualified or unregistered, but it is not impossible if you have experience and/or a previous relationship with the company
I don't know about whether this or that foreign certificate or registration is recognised in Australia.

Assuming all the certificates and registrations work out, I should think that being in his 30s and with a competition bodybuilding history behind him, and pursuing a degree in a health field, Mattias won't have a problem finding employment in a gym. He's mature, he looks the part, and will know his stuff. That's 3 more things than most trainers and coaches in Australia have, most are lucky to have 1 of the 3.

insurance is harder to get if you are unqualified or unregistered, but it is not impossible if you have experience and/or a previous relationship with the company

Kyle, this is interesting.
Can you elucidate a bit more on this please?
Posted via Mobile Device