• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Cycling] What caused your flat tire

J

jasper

Pinch flats:
Pinch flats happen when the tube is pinched between a hard object (like a curb or pothole) and the wheel rim. Pinch flats are also refered to as ed snakebites, due to the twolittle punctures in the tube where it struck the rim. Pinch flats are more common on narrow tires. Pinch flats can be avoided by keeping tires properly inflated to the correct psi, by riding with wider tires and by avoiding curbs and potholes.

Road debris.:
Glass, thorns, nails and other sharp objects can puncture the tire and tube, causing a flat. Keep a look out on the path ahead avoid debris, by looking far enough ahead you can maneuver around the debris in plenty of time .
Your Local bike store will stock a variety of products which offerivarious degrees of puncture resistance. Such products are:puncture resistant tires, extra thick tubes, plastic strips to shield the tubes, and ooze sealants that go inside the tubes. .

Rim and spokes:
If you y get mystery punctures, the most likely cause is that your rim tape is in need of replacing. The rim tape is a strip of cloth/plastic/rubber that lines the inside of the rim, protecting your tube from the sharp surfaces inside the rim.

Blow out:
A blow happens when a portion of the tube sticks out beyond the tire’s casing,causing it to explode. This can happen by incorrect installation or from a faulty tire. As you inflate your tube make sure that the tube doesn’t protrude outside the of the tire and rim. Also expect the tyre if you can see daylight the tyre needs replacing

Valve damage.
A valve and stem can get damaged due to abuse and or overuse. Sealants don’t typically work well on damaged valves. It’s time for a new tube.

as i mentioned in my above post , that there are products on the market that offer various degress of puncture defense, so i'll go ahead and list them here with a short description on them

Solid or airless tires: as the name suggests they are solid, non-pneumatic tires that don't take air. Found on baby carriages, wheel barrows, and occasionally on bicycle products, the ride is harsh and unreliable under adverse conditions, they can't go flat due to puncture but have higher rolling friction and provide much less suspension

Plastic tire liners: These are plastic strips that you insert into your tyre, They go in between your tyre and the tube. It can make tire removal and insertion a little difficult, especially if your tires are already tight, but they work very well.

Puncture-resistant tires: These are tires that are either lined with a puncture resistant material (such as Kevlar) or have extra thick rubber. While they might not hold up to bottle glass and nails , but they will resist punctures from the common threats such as goat heads and automotive glass.

Thorn-resistant tubes: These are inner tubes that are extra thick on the surface that’s against the rolling outside edge of the tire. This is probably the easiest puncture resistance to add, and for many conditions these tubes are an inexpensive and effective remedy.

Liquid sealants: This is the gooey/ooze substance that you squeeze into your tube. You can also buy the tubes pre-filled with this stuff. The idea behind the stuff is that when you get a puncture the goo/ooze fills the little puncture hold providing a quick easy patch, it might last enough time for you to get home or it could last for a few days

thanks for that info , sort of answers my questions in my post

been quite lucky , haven't gotten a puncture for awhile

tubes are cheap enough , and co2 canisters save the hassle of pumping them
i've gotten my fair share of flats over time

I have racv roadside care which also covers me if i am out on the bike , i have been tempted to call them up to come fix the flat for me lol