• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

sore shoulder from squats low bar position

milketc

ive only been squatting for a bit over 2 months and a couple of weeks ago i changed from a high bar position to a low bar position on my squats and i find that after each set my shoulders get really sore, mainly from trying to keep the bar on my shoulders. I find it uncomfortable trying to bring my hands closer to the middle of the bar. Is this normal initially? or am i likely doing something wrong?
also, after i get home i can feel a very sharp pain in my shoulder sometimes, it doesnt hurt a lot, but i can feel it.
im thinking of going back to a high bar position as it didnt strain my shoulders so much.

thanks in advance

when squatting with a 'narrow' grip, how how narrow is it really ? I've squatted with both a high and low bar approach, narrow and wide grip. Both are effective. The pain could be from too narrow of a grip
Posted via Mobile Device

I feel more comfy with the high bar position and narrow grip.

With low bar, I have to use a wide grip else my shoulders feel too tight.

Its most likely a shoulder flexibility issue. As said work on this with shoulder dislocations and stretching.

And unless you plan on being a copetitive powerlifter squat with a narrow stance and high bar.

Make sure it's in the low position, too. You want your wrists STRAIGHT, and out so they can accomodate this. The bar should sit on the heel/lower part of your hand near your wrist, and not in your fingers as would be the case with a bent wrist. this keeps the bar on your back rather than in your hands, which will surely cause elbow problems in the future. Also, it should rest on your posterior deltoids, and low traps. You should see a nice groove for the bar to lie. It's almost intuitive for it to go there. Takes a bit of practice. I frequently finish low bar squatting with a big red line across my rear delts (near the teres and rhoms) but it doesnt bruise and my shoulders feel fine. Keep your elbows up too. Hope that helps

Like Nick said, high bar close stance, unless your squatting like a powerlifter for a reason, like planning to compete.

Reducing the range of motion for a non competing raw lifter is pretty stupid.

The squat is an EXERCISE for EVERYONE except a POWERLIFTER.

To them, its an actual event, so they should train the lift like they plan to use it in their event.

No other lifter/athlete will use this ineffective way to squat. It doesnt make sense. We train for development and strength, use the most effective technique.

Nick on here squats 220kg rock bottom, high bar close stance no belt. Squatting this way will not limit your weights, but it may cause you to get stronger and bigger, make sure you want those side effects before you switch.

If your NOT a powerlifter, dont reduce the range of motion on ANY lift.