• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifting

PowerBuilder

I started training at my local weightlifting club this week, after weeks & weeks of self teaching the lifts. The coach said that he was surprised how good my technique is considering i'm pretty much self taught.

There are a few main technical things that i keep doing wrong. For example when doing a jerk, i tend to bob up & down (i think he calls it hitching), then finally do the actual lift. Afterwards i tend to keep bringing my back foot forward first instad of my front foot back THEN my back foot forward. When doing a clean, my elbows come pretty close to my knee's when in the recovery position. When snatching the bar does tend to get a bit away from me, which is mainly a result as i've not yet established the pathways for ton's of speed

Anyway...I just wanted to make a quick note to say that i've got my first weightlifting competition in mid April!!

I'll be competing in the 69kg class, while dieting down a little bit below there to maybe 67-68kg. There was a guy who competed in that weight class in a recent competition with lifts i could possibly beat.i think it was a sn of 50 & c&j of 67.5 ( i'm can easily beat that c&j)

i get my training plan on saturday. i'll start a training log for sure

The guy who used to run the local club when it folded now trains at Powersports with us. So no, theres no local oly lifting club.

Congrats on entering a comp. Nothing motivates more.

If you guys are keen to start something, I am not sure what would be involved then start one through powersports.

You might be able to like have a set time when you meet and stuff and everyone has to be members or they have to pay X amount to join - I dunno lol.

Call your PowerSports Weightlifting CREW lol

Last edited:
Good work joining a club PowerBuilder, what state is that in if you don't mind me asking? I'm familiar with a lot of the members of the Qld squad.

You'll have a lot of fun competing, and once you have tasted competition it motivates you to train harder to reach your goals.

The bobbing up and down is illegal in a competition as athletes used this to build momentum and bounce the bar on their shoulders, giving themselves more opportunity to get underneath the jerk. Thats to my understanding anyway.

The bobbing up and down is illegal in a competition as athletes used this to build momentum and bounce the bar on their shoulders, giving themselves more opportunity to get underneath the jerk. Thats to my understanding anyway.

You're correct. It's (my coach calls it 'jacking') illegal in competitions since athletes use it as a tool to gain momentum for a better jerk. So I've stopped it. When i catch myself doing it, i lock my knee's & start again. I've got to mid April till my first comp, so that's plenty of time to change the habit!

I"m in the Tasmanian weightlifting club. Although the competition i'm going in, is small & nothing special...i'm going to treat it like it's a big deal, since if i don't then i wont be able to see what i'm able to do!

My main problem now is not that i'm not strong, it's more that i'm not 'powerful'. So i'm thinking of doing drills like box jumps, what do you think

You're correct. It's (my coach calls it 'jacking') illegal in competitions since athletes use it as a tool to gain momentum for a better jerk. So I've stopped it. When i catch myself doing it, i lock my knee's & start again. I've got to mid April till my first comp, so that's plenty of time to change the habit!

So doing a push press where you bend your knees and push up is illegal?

So doing a push press where you bend your knees and push up is illegal?

No. You obviously need to bend your knee's to do any type of jerk, ie push press, power jerk, split jerk...

what is illegal if you stand there, feet together, bar on your shoulders & you bob slightly up & down. I've heard of guys who have gotten away with saying they were repositioning the bar, but ya'd want to be sure you could get away with it.

i searched youtube for a clip of the movement of bobbing up & down a few times then doing the press (or jerk), but came up with nothin', oh well. i think you get the concept

[YOUTUBE]gTu8QWrLtUM[/YOUTUBE]

My main problem now is not that i'm not strong, it's more that i'm not 'powerful'. So i'm thinking of doing drills like box jumps, what do you think

Try training a movement that will actually carry over to what you want to do. Cleans, Snatchs, Pulls, Jerks and Squats is what you want.

Box jumps will do f**k all for your o lifts.

Nice work on signing up for a comp.

And to LJ. Push press is illegal in competition. You cannot press the weight, it must be jerked or snatched.

So you think things like clean / snatch pulls as well as a new movement I'm learning 'jerk starts' is a good start
Posted via Mobile Device

clean/snatch pulls will be good for helping to get that explosiveness. 20metre sprints will also be good for developing explosiveness.

what about the power developed from the take off. teaches you to be explosive off the mark. i did them for a while and found them to be beneficial for everything. other than that squat!

Hell , do 200 mtr sprints.

Some coach decided for an afl team told certain player to attach a weight to their foot and and practice the movement of kicking thinking it would make them kick further, it in fact stuffed up their movement pattern and they did not improve, went backwards.

I think if you want to improve a skill you need to practice it over and over.
Posted via Mobile Device

In time you will get more powerful. I think I started learning to press, then to push press (standing on tip toes), then power jerk and then the split jerk.

Technique is very important so master that early and you will be lengths ahead of others.

Train your technique, this is the most important part of O lifting.

Forget sprints, box jumps, skipping rope or whatever the fcuk else you can dream up.

OLYMPIC LIFTERS DONT DO THAT CRAP!

It *might* help improve other things but if you want to train for oylmpic lifting, train like a bloody olympic lifter does.

Simple really.

I say perform a “million” snatch balances with a broom stick and when done, perform another “million” with just the bar. After that, every cell in your muscle fibers would automatically hit the “groove” when asked to perform the lift!

pressing-sn-balance-a-th.jpg

The above is not perfect but does the job in illustrating my point (notice the wrong shoes)?!

Once you've got that covered, you'd hopefully end up lifting like Dmitry Klokov; 105 kg category (heavyweight) standing182cm tall who was the 2005 World Champion.

snatch.jpg

The same goes for the jerk; a "million" reps here.

In my opinion, one of the best snatch and clean & jerk technicians in the world of weightlifting is Alan Tsagaev of Bulgaria, who placed second at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. Unfortunately he’s banned for life from competing after having tested positive twice.

Alan%20Tsagaty.jpg

The above jerk represents an ideal position where the spine and pelvis are in the natural alignment and both legs are equally supporting the bar. Wow, what a top jerk!

2173265986_1e319f95b8.jpg

Always aim to hit that low bottom position (need to be flexible here PB).

PS: Don't perform the million reps all in the one session okay or you'll die :D! It was just a figure of speech, but you seriously need to work on technique technique technique!

All the best PB.

Fadi.