• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Zhang Guozheng

PowerBuilder

Full name: Zhang Guozheng
Original name: 張 國政
Height: 5'4" (163 cm)
Weight: 159 lbs (72 kg)
Born: September 17, 1974 in Xianyou, Fujian, China
Affiliations: Yunnan
CHN.png
China
Sport: Weightlifting

Achievements
2000 Sydney Olympics
Snatch - 152.5kg
Clean & Jerk - 190kg

2004 Athens Olympics
Snatch - 160kg
Clean & Jerk - 192.5

zhang1875_th.jpg

[YOUTUBE]3Y8yKSJbpFI[/YOUTUBE]

Thats exactly how I hold the bar

Everyone else seems to have their hands right out, nearly to the collar and plates

ZGZ is a beast!

Makes me proud. We Asians are meant to be natural at squatting. :p

Kinda makes me feel a collective shame when I see an Asian guy quarter or half squat at the gym.

Thats exactly how I hold the bar

Everyone else seems to have their hands right out, nearly to the collar and plates

Does it matter? :confused:

Paul Anderson had his hands quite out there.

i think when it comes to formal weightlifting, a close grip, narrow'ish stand is used to build onto the snatch & c&p. It's how the PTC boys and girls train, yeah ?
Posted via Mobile Device

squats i think i squat the same, pinky finger on inside of the rings on bar. i find it easier to hold the bar, stance shoulder width.

I imitated ZGZ's grip for today's squat session (already have the same stance). The grip solved my headache issue during squat, which I used to call exertion headache. The narrow grip reduces unnecessary tension on my neck & shoulders. The sets felt easier although I was squatting heavier than on Tuesday, and no headache afterwards!

I'm no expert on squats but I thought good form was that the knees don't bow (bend) in when pushing up?

I'm no expert on squats but I thought good form was that the knees don't bow (bend) in when pushing up?

thats true. I learnt that you kept your knees pointing out at the same angle as your toes. Keeping your knees from bowing inwards is much harder when you are squatting very heavy weights.

Check out Marcin Dolega, another strong Olympic Lifter.

Last edited:
thats true. I learnt that you kept your knees pointing out at the same angle as your toes. Keeping your knees from bowing inwards is much harder when you are squatting very heavy weights.

Check out Marcin Dolega, another strong Olympic Lifter.

Last nite I was doing some seriously heavy squatting. 9 reps @ 75%. Quite often during the sets i felt the temptation (or natural pull) of my knee's together, but kept them apart as more strength & power is generated when as previously noted knee's & toes are pointed in the same direction.

Marcin squats deep

20091217164000.jpg

A Snatch will force you into a low receiving position, especially at 175kg. lol. Dolega has the U105kg world record of 199kg for snatch. Theres a video on youtube of him doing 202.5kg in training.

His knees will be rooted by the time he is 40.
Strong though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I disagree.

I've trained with plenty of 40+ olympic lifters who squat exactly like that without any complaints about knee injury. They have been squatting like that since before they were teenagers and all of them have managed 250kg+ with nothing more than a belt.

One of them even managed 280kg @ mid 90kg's bodyweight. He's now mid forties and still trains 3+ times a week.