• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sore shins by walking???!!! WT??

k_21

Hey all,

Has anyone experienced the above? I've got
REALLY sore shins without doing anything apart from
walking! :mad:

I feel like I had done 250KG lunges or something!

Anyone esle?

Shin Splints?

My wife got them when doing packwork training for commando officer selection, not a lie... ;)

She's 5'8" and only 52kg size 8 now.

Cheers,
Mike

I thought that women were not allowed into direct combat roles such as the commandos. I remember hearing talk of a drastic shortage of numbers in the RAR and SAS Regiments and that women may be allowed to apply for entry should the shortage continue.

When did this change?

Sore shins by walking???!!! WT??

Has anyone experienced the above?!

Yes, through water retention, and no you don't have to look puffed up to have it. It can be very subtle. I had to stop walking to my destination/break the walk into bits due to the pain. We're talking 27 years ago now.

My advice to you is two things:

1. Get some K-Mag into you pronto and...
2. Down about a litre of carrot juice mixed with celery juice. 1/2 a kilo of each should give you about 500ml juice all up.

Fadi.

Tall_Tim, I just left Defence (APS) after seven years and the current policy is:

Consistent with an exemption provided for Defence under the Commonwealth Anti-Discrimination Act, women may not be employed in direct combat roles.
The Direct Combat exclusion applies to all Armour, Artillery, Infantry and Combat Engineer Squadrons and precludes women from being employed in direct combat roles within these units. However, female personnel are capable of serving within Direct Combat Units (except Combat Engineer Squadrons) in combat support positions.

Perhaps Mrs MikeW was undergoing officer training to manage or support special forces. But I used to co-ordinate a lot of training for SAS, CDO and IRR among others and never met a female officer. I'm curious now.

k_21, I developed problems in the shins from training for the shuttle run when I applied for the Army Reserve a couple of years ago. Lots of ice and rest and then a more gradual build-up rather than bolting willy-nilly along the local cricket pitch resolved the situation, but yours sounds more odd, perhaps an alignment issue that's now getting more serious and starting to manifest itself as pain.

More often than not it's the shoes.

Revrse calf raises are an excellent exercise for rehab/development of the shin.

Perhaps Mrs MikeW was undergoing officer training to manage or support special forces. But I used to co-ordinate a lot of training for SAS, CDO and IRR among others and never met a female officer. I'm curious now.
I guess technically they might have put them in support corps postings, but had my wife passed selection she would have been one of three only female officers at 1CDO. I could name the other two as they are good friends of ours, but my wife pulled out of selection at the last minute due to the shin splints she developed. She also freaked out as it is very intensive selection for two weeks at middle head in Sydney.

We're both Army Reserves officers. I'm an Artillery Captain and she was a Sigs Captain. We actually met at OCTU at Ingleburn.

I can't speak for Robin, but I do know that Tanya no longer parades with 1CDO. She moved to Albury and went inactive. Both passed the two week officer selection course for Commandos and were selected into the unit and paraded with them at Middle Head. Tanya also summitted Everest with the Army Alpine Association (AAA). All three ladies are very impressive individuals, but I'm a bit biased as I'm married to one of them... :)

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
^ Mike, I hope I didn't seem to insinuate doubt in anyway, as it wasn't my intention. I was merely curious as I hadn't met any females in that world (and worked with one of the legendary female Navy physical trainers who failed the physical selection test, so the women who got through must be freaking awesome to put it mildly). What a dreadful shame about your wife's shin splints, but it's a great achievement to make it that far -- I've heard many stories of Olympic-level athletes being ruined on the early rounds of the tests!

I get those shins splints of very sore shins as you say.A few times i t gets painfull,stretching does nothing.But on the odd occassions i push myself and keep walking and then the pain goes very weird.

Yes, through water retention, and no you don't have to look puffed up to have it. It can be very subtle. I had to stop walking to my destination/break the walk into bits due to the pain. We're talking 27 years ago now.

My advice to you is two things:

1. Get some K-Mag into you pronto and...
2. Down about a litre of carrot juice mixed with celery juice. 1/2 a kilo of each should give you about 500ml juice all up.

Fadi.

how does water retention affect shin soreness?
and how does the juice help?

I've had a history of this problem before, so quite curious to know. I always just thought it was coz my shins were weak.

Shin soreness can be due to compartment syndrome. Your anterior leg fascia gets tight due to having more volume in it (muscle, blood, water etc) and so water retention can increase this occurring.

how does water retention affect shin soreness?
and how does the juice help?

It affects them by accumulating in that lower region of the body. Juice which is full of organic minerals especially potassium works to balance out the sodium which holds onto the water out of the cell. What you need here is something like K-Mag, that is Potassium/magnesium aspartate few times a day to prevent cramping and help with the water balance.

Carbohydrates in the form of starches may worsen the problem for you since carbs in this form (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes etc) would cause your body to hold onto about 2.4 to 3 grams of water for every 1 gram of carb ingested. Increase the amount of raw veggies in your diet or better still juice them (except for the cruciferous veggies that is) such as broccoli etc since although these are great for cancer, if taken raw would cause a problem with your thyroid gland. I'll stop here before I begin to confuse the issue with information.

Fadi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fadi, I think you should write a book with all you knoweldge i think most people on here could learn a lot from it.

Compartment Syndrome

Hey Guys, this was posted a while ago, but just wanted to add a few things.

2 weeks ago (still recovery as we speak) I had surgery on all 4 compartments in my lower limbs (calfs/shins) posterior and anterior.

The pain I had was the same, if I walked at a decent pace I calfs will swell up and get extreme pain in my shins, then my feet would go numb (no blood flow to the foot beacuse of the swelling) or get extreme pain on the ball of the fott ( still cant explain why that happened)

Same thing with running, some days I would run for 200m and I would have to stop lie down and lift my lower limbs of the ground, and I would feel great relief. Other days it would take me a couple kms before the pain came.

I went to a Sports Physcian in Perth, and she was great, she started testing for all kinds of things. doplar testing (blood flow/vein stuff). Diabetes (sometimes it has the same symtoms), and finally Compartment Syndrome Test. Now the results were high but not in the crucial side, so we decided to operate.

Once I start to recover I will post more comments.

Hope you guys find this useful, and dont hesitate in asking any questions.

It affects them by accumulating in that lower region of the body. Juice which is full of organic minerals especially potassium works to balance out the sodium which holds onto the water out of the cell. What you need here is something like K-Mag, that is Potassium/magnesium aspartate few times a day to prevent cramping and help with the water balance.

Carbohydrates in the form of starches may worsen the problem for you since carbs in this form (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes etc) would cause your body to hold onto about 2.4 to 3 grams of water for every 1 gram of carb ingested. Increase the amount of raw veggies in your diet or better still juice them (except for the cruciferous veggies that is) such as broccoli etc since although these are great for cancer, if taken raw would cause a problem with your thyroid gland. I'll stop here before I begin to confuse the issue with information.

Fadi.
Mate, I was perusing forum and saw this. Is K Mag the brand or what? Can you get it easy? I get a shin splint in left leg only (weird, but it is a little shorter due to breaking both shin bones as a kid).

Mate, I was perusing forum and saw this. Is K Mag the brand or what? Can you get it easy? I get a shin splint in left leg only (weird, but it is a little shorter due to breaking both shin bones as a kid).

I think K-Mag is
K - Potassium
Mag - Magnesium