• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

That feeling of being sick after a full on session

kindred

People have sometimes said to me they had a session so intense that they felt sick after. Does anyone know what actually makes you feel sick? I can understand weak or tired a few hours after a work out but i've never figured out sick. Is it a sign these people are just pussies and need to work out way more often than they do cause their bodies are so wrecked from doing nothing all their life. Is there some other thing that's happening? Is it a good thing does it show you've reached the max effort your body can put in?

It's physiological, not helped by a big meal before gym.

Digesting food takes a lot of blood and energy. Working out takes blood and energy. If you eat a big meal and then work out hard, the blood and energy goes to your muscles. At some point there's not enough left for you to digest your food.

So your body says, "still want to digest? or wanna keep working out? cos if you don't, I'll just get rid of the food." The body says that by giving you nausea.

If while nauseous you keep working out, you'll throw up.

Being fit or unfit, the only difference this makes is how much you can actually do before feeling nauseous. But everyone if they have any food in their stomach at all and if they push themselves hard enough will feel nauseous.

In the NZ Army, recruit course finishes with a "chunder run" - everyone runs, and keeps running until at least two-thirds of the people have vomited. They do this at about 0430, when everyone was up drinking until 2330 the night before. I knew about it so just had 2-3 drinks, other people didn't believe the chunder run would happen or didn't care so had 6-12 drinks. I didn't vomit, the fittest bloke in the platoon was the first to vomit.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting the feedback you receive from others as I'm intrigued as well. I've had cycling sessions where I've been over bent over the velodrome fence vomiting and having to move again because the clock was ticking and I'd have to do it all again (and faster ) if i didn't meet the split times. Learning to vomit quickly wasn't a skill I could put on my resume. I was extremely fit at that time, so it wasn't from lack of conditioning.

Even doing full body weight training sessions now kills me while getting back into a routine. I can feel full-on nauseous the entire day after a hard full-body session when I'm sore across more than half my body. I'm thinking about going back to splitting it in two as I can deal with any level of half-body soreness just fine. But with another night's sleep I feel fine.

This might be TMI, but sometimes after long sessions of other non-sporting physical activities, I've been nauseous and ill the day after presumably from the depletion of endorphins and other feel-good hormones.

I'm probably just a wuss.

It's happened to me twice. Once at school and once recently at the gym. I hadn't eaten anything both times which is why i was wonder what it was. Maybe it is not eating or working out in a state of starvation. The human body is a strange thing.

Lactic acid is the culprit.
Usually happens to an unconditioned trainee not use to a very intense workout.

Now depending on the severity of your adrenal exhaustion or adrenal fatigue, your body begins to go into its survival mode by yes you guessed it…breaking down! As you may be aware, breaking down or breaking up is a term we sometimes use in our daily conversations.
Breaking down can manifest itself in many ways; it’s your body sending you a message, pulling you in so to speak so you may tune in to its needs. Some of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue are nausea, vomiting, diarrea, constipation, dizziness etc.

I say thank God we do feel what we do, however it’s in the way we respond to such bodily messages that really counts when all is said and done.

Examples:
Feeling sick in the stomach whilst anticipating a job interview
Feeling light headed and nauseous after a set of 20 rep squats
Etc

Please do not misunderstand me here thinking that one should not push the envelope of training by taking it to new heights. If you recall in my other posts, I mentioned the word adaptations and how one needs a new stimulus to challenge his/her body to adapt. Feeling sick doing a 20 rep killer squats won’t kill you, but might make you feel let’s say, less than good at the time. Pushing the boundaries however is how you get to know where you limits lay. If you have a positive Champion type of an attitude, you attempt to break the limit you’ve achieved at the time and set the bar higher still. That’s the difference between a novice and an advance athlete; one has adapted to the stress (very high) stress levels by having his/her adrenal glands accustomed to the task, and the novice who is still on his way to that mountain top. Yes, there is a hell of a difference physiologically speaking between a trained athlete and one who is on the way…

So in a nutshell, my answer to you is extreme adrenal fatigue/exhaustion.

PS: The above is but one answer or pssible cause.

Fadi.

Last edited: