• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help me set SMART strength goals for this year

Dancelot

Background: I started lifting at the start of last year, but only did squat and bench press (with the usual curls & crappy machine stuff) along with cardio until May. Then I did a program from Iron Addicts with Squat Day, Bench Press Day and Deadlift Day for 2 months. For various reasons, I stopped training for 3 months. Started again in late October, after reading Starting Strength, Stronglifts and the first 100 newsletters from PTC, plus was instructed briefly by a powerlifter at my gym.

At the end of last year, my stats were:

86kg BW, 20-ish BF%, 171cm.

Lifts all done raw - the only assistance gear I use is liquid chalk.

Deadlift: 140kg x1
Squat: 110kg x5
Bench press: 65kg x3
OHP: 35kg x4
No powerclean in 2009: I've only done powercleans for 3 sessions this year.

Since Jan, I've been adding a few things to my training, plus 2 cardio days. My week currently is like this:

Monday: 40 mins indoor soccer

Tuesday:

20-rep squat
Powercleans
Standing MP / Push press
Speed Bench Press
Dead-hang Chin-ups / Wide-grip Pull-ups

Wednesday:

Tabata Thrusters
Burpees
DB Swings
One-armed plank

Thursday:

Bench press
Barbell bent over rows
Standing MP / Push Press
Front squat / Overhead squat
Dead-hang Chin-ups / Wide-grip Pull-ups

Friday:

Either fast swing dancing practice & aerials (lifting women over head & throwing them around) or same as Wednesday.

Saturday:

20-rep squat
Powercleans
Barbell bent over rows
Goodmornings

Replaced the above with deadlift & powercleans once a month.

Standing MP / Push press
Speed Bench Press
Dead-hang chin-ups / wide-grip pull-ups

My diet: I'm eating exactly like PTC newsletter #37:

PTC NEWSLETTER, Issue # 37

With only 5 drinks in the last 5 weeks (wine and scotch & diet coke).

Sleep: I get between 7-9h a night.

My current stats are:

82kg BW, BF% not sure, will measure soon, but certainly lower than 20%.

Deadlift: 155kg x1 (over 3 weeks old)
Squat: 100kg x20, 120kg x5 (this was too easy & done straight after I hit 90kg x20)
Bench Press: 77.5kg x5 (although I've struggled to match it since, only got back to 77.5kg x4)
Powercleans: 70kg x1 (was today, still plenty in the tank)
Standing MP: 55kg x1, Push Press: 60kg x1 (wasn't really trying today)

The goals I've set on Jan 1 were:

BW: 80kg, BF% 10% (i.e losing 11kg of fat and gaining 6kg of muscles)

Deadlift: 200kg
Squat: 120kg x20 and 160kg x1
Bench press: 100kg
OHP: 75kg
Powerclean: 80kg

Others: 10x 1 arm push-ups with either arm, 1 arm chin-up, 1 arm pull-up (with either arm).

With my powercleans already at 70kg today, I'm thinking that I set my goals a little too low.

What do you think I should set them to?

Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited:
I think you should leave it as is for the moment, if you hit the goals before 1st Jan, then you can always set new ones.

I always believe that 2-3-4 plate for bench-squat-deadlift should be everyones first goals.

Bodyweight MP and anything approaching 80-100kg for cleans, where technique plays a big part.

I always believe that 2-3-4 plate for bench-squat-deadlift should be everyones first goals.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've heard this a few times & I'm not sure exactly what it means. 2 plates means 2 max possible plates on each side, e.g 2x25kg red plates, or 120kg in total (inc the bar)?

Which translates to 120kg-170kg-220kg for bench-squat-deadlift?

Bodyweight MP and anything approaching 80-100kg for cleans, where technique plays a big part.

Bodyweight MP I think will be the toughest one for me. I can probably reach BW push press quickly but strict MP is gonna be a killer!

Thanks!

PB, that's a good one!

A "plate" is an American 45 pound plate, roughly 20kgs. so 2 plates = 100kg 3 plates = 140kg and so on.

Ah, cheers Bluey.

So it'll be 100kg - 140kg - 180kg.

I'll probably nail the squat first, then deadlift and finally bench.