PDA

View Full Version : General Newbie BodyBuilding Questions

Lord_Nikon
30-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Lord_Nikon here , but you can just call me Sir :)

found a flyer for ausbb on the ground so decided to check this place out, i have been looking around the place for a little while only deciding to sign up last night , some good info around here , place might not be as busy as some other places i have looked at

enough rambling onto the questions

i have only just started getting interested in fitness/bodybuilding i've been hitting the weight room down at the gym in the hope of trying to gain some serious mass

My problem is this, i am little confused on what direction i should take , should i go for a full body routine straight off for a month or 2 or should i got a split routine?

With sets and reps when I am doing an exercise, for example when i am doing a leg press for 3 sets of 8 reps, do I set a weight that allows me do only 8 reps for the first set? If so how am i meant to complete 2 sets?

Also if Im on a split routine which calls for a muscle group to have 2-3 exercises wont I find it hard to complete 3 sets for all those exercises just to workout that one muscle group?

Sorry for allthe stupid questions but im new.

Thanks

Cruxis
30-04-2008, 02:45 PM
My problem is this, i am little confused on what direction i should take , should i go for a full body routine straight off for a month or 2 or should i got a split routine?

Depends how often you can go to the gym. If you can only go once or twice a week, then a full body workout might be what you need. If yuo can go 3-7 days a week, then a split is better.

With sets and reps when I am doing an exercise, for example when i am doing a leg press for 3 sets of 8 reps, do I set a weight that allows me do only 8 reps for the first set? If so how am i meant to complete 2 sets?

Yes. When you stop, you rest between 30 seconds, and 4 minutes, depending on what you're after. In a 8 rep set, 2-3 minutes rest between each set is recommended. This allows your muscles to recover a bit, and get energy back. You may not be able to do the whole 8 reps again, but you certainly won't be doing just 1 or 2 after doing it, if you got enough rest in.

Also if Im on a split routine which calls for a muscle group to have 2-3 exercises wont I find it hard to complete 3 sets for all those exercises just to workout that one muscle group?

No. I do 4 exercises for 5 sets, and that muscle group doesn't get really tired till right at the end. If you're struggling, you can just lower the weight. As long as you get a decent amount of reps in, with correct form, it'll still build muscle.

cr2025
30-04-2008, 04:04 PM
If you have only just started then you should look at going for a a full body routine 2-3 days a week for the first 12 weeks

focus on the basics which should give you a good start
Incline Bench Press Squats
Leg Curls
BB Rows
SHoulder Press

after the 12 weeks is up you can then adapt the workouts

minitar
01-05-2008, 08:42 PM
do a google for Rippletoes starting strength program. It focus on solid compound lifts and is perfect for you.

Start the program , eat big and eat well and you'll start to pack on the kgs.

Lord_Nikon
08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Can anyone tell me where it is?
Any success stories with this program?

Cruxis
08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Writeup for Rippetoe's program - Bodybuilding.com Forums (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752&highlight=rippetoe)

Lord_Nikon
09-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks Cruxis , i'll give it a read over