• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pullovers after 20 rep squat?

Dancelot

I've been doing the 20 rep squat for 2 weeks. I started at 80kg x20 and I'm now at 85kg x20 (BW is 84kg) - with stupid me trying 90kg twice inbetween thinking that it was 85kg. :p Anyway, I notice that the old school 20 rep squat routine has light pullovers immediately afterwards and it says that it's for "stretching the rib cage". Some articles say it's to get a bigger chest. :confused: I'm confused. Can you even realistically stretch the rib cage?

The only thing I really want to do after a 20 repper is to have a lie down. :p

it is suspected that the pull overs will 'stretch' the rib cage, as a result of the pulling movement as well as the hard breathing that you do after all that squatting.

i'm unaware of any hard (or decent) evidence to support this argument. The gym is a bit like a science lab, so some things can be proven, some things not so much. Some of the guys who do the routine would be able to help you more than i can

I used to do pullovers all the time with and without the 20 reppers and I see no evidence of an expanded rib cage. Come to think of it, not sure that i really want to expand it.i like it the way it is.

Perry Rader wrote extensively about this subject, it's talked about in KTP.

I think it's possible for a young trainer.

20 rep breathing squats followed by a "heavy" not light set of pullovers.
It inspired Arthur Jones to design the nautilus pullover.

The only thing I really want to do after a 20 repper is to have a lie down. :p

Pretty much. I rack the bar but my body just keeps on going forward onto my knees and I stay there with my head down breathing like a madman.
Ive noticed PTC didnt include the set of pullovers in his size and strength 20 rep squat program either.

hahah, well truth be told, i no longer go to that gym...it's frequnted by footy players that concentrate a lot on their arms, abs & chest & every now & then some leg work, 2nd...i'm not sure...it was a weird piece of equipment that's for sure

has anybody here used a squat machine ?

has anybody here used a squat machine ?

I used one once at my gym just for kicks and maxed it out while adding 2x25kg plates to the handles (total was 175kg). My actual free weight squat was very ordinary then (only got 105kg x5). The machine takes away most of the pressure.

Might do some pullovers on Tuesday after squat to see if I get bigger chesticles. :p

Like Andy said, I feel if anyone is going to get benefits they would need to be young.

I include it in some programs, dependent on the age and body type of the client

I used one once at my gym just for kicks and maxed it out while adding 2x25kg plates to the handles (total was 175kg). My actual free weight squat was very ordinary then (only got 105kg x5). The machine takes away most of the pressure.

Might do some pullovers on Tuesday after squat to see if I get bigger chesticles. :p

The closest thing I've used is the H squat, beast of a machine.

Damn it, at 27 years old, I think I'm past the age to grow bigger chesticles.

The closest thing I've used is the H squat, beast of a machine.

Had to google to see what it is. I guess that's how astronauts work out in space, squatting horizontally.

Damn it, at 27 years old, I think I'm past the age to grow bigger chesticles.

Rubbish I am 35, and I am still getting bigger and stronger in the chesticles, not sure i will be able to make the rib cage any bigger now but..pull overs are an awsome exercise, your chest shoulders, lats, abs gets a good work out...might try them again to help stretch my pecs..

for those interested;
Some believe that the pull over developed the serratus, but it's actually the over head press, another good reason to do this exercise.

I'm on the other side of 20 & my T levels are reaching all time high's! There's always hope for older (ok....so i'm not THAT old...) individuals!

Rubbish I am 35, and I am still getting bigger and stronger in the chesticles, not sure i will be able to make the rib cage any bigger now but..pull overs are an awsome exercise, your chest shoulders, lats, abs gets a good work out...might try them again to help stretch my pecs..

You reach your peak at 45.