• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Running Vs Cycling

S

sicr1000

Hi guys just curious is cycling on an exercise bike as good cardio as running on a treadmill??

So basically, you would be better off doing 100 rep squats with just the barbell to start with. Time your sets, aim to better that every time. If 100 is too easy, add some weight to the bar.

Its all about straining your muscles as much as you can for the longest period you can, cycling/running dont stress the muscles enough, great for heart/lung health though.
A naturally efficient runner can jog all day, put a backpack on them with 20kg in it and watch them loose their efficiency and fail quicker than someone who never runs, but does a lot of strength endurance cardio

as i am not very advanced at running yet would i be better to get that up to speed then switch over to the high intensity cardio??

What is your health, what is your lifestyle and what are you training for? What do you hope to achieve from "cardio"? I ask because you have to pick the training to match what the person can do and wants to achieve.

Some people have joint or postural issues so that heaps of running, the pound, pound, pound would destroy them. So cycling or swimming would be better for them.

Other people don't have good cycling roads or a pool near them, so running is better for them.

Others still get bored by treadmills, but live 5-30km from work/school, so cycling is good for both transport and at the same time cardio fitness.

The 100 rep squats and the like are not purely cardio or strength, but mostly lactate tolerance training - like doing a 400m sprint, the ability to press on when your limbs are like molten lead. They will have a lot of cardio benefit, but not as much as dedicated cardio work. But if you want to do a lot of weights work or boxing or rowing or sprints or footy, lactate tolerance is just what you need.

But to do lactate tolerance training, you need a base of cardio fitness and strength or you simply won't be able to manage it. If you can only do 5 knee pushups and cannot run hard out for five minutes, there's no sense getting you to do burpees for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, repeat 7 more times.

Sometimes when people say "cardio" they don't mean "fitness" but "burn energy and lose fat." For that, several hours of low-moderate intensity cardio or an hour of weights or half an hour of lactate threshold training will in the end burn about the same energy.

That's because even though just going for a walk for 5 hours will burn more energy than an hour of weights, in the 24 hours afterwards while your body's recovering, it'll use more energy recovering from weights than from the walk. So if you like it short and intense, lactate tolerance or weights is the way to go, if you have heaps of time and patience go for a long walk or run.

So it depends on your abilities, your health and your goals.

Last edited:
I dont really have much time at the end of the day so i usually get about 1 hour of weights in every day although most of my day is spent walking as i work on a mine site, ( i walk approx 5km a day). My goal is to strip all ft and gain lean muscle.

I get regular health checks and am told that i am very healthy. 25yo, 177cm, 74kg.
I hav not done a body fat test yet but am going to purchase some today and do the test so i can keep monitoring my progress.

Dunno how much help it will be but I'll add my $0.02. From my experience, treadmills and stationary bikes are never as good as hitting the road (either by foot or wheel) The thing I've found to really get the heart rate up is a skipping rope. Because you cant get lazy or else your gonna stop (or trip over) you have to put in effort all the way. Also due to moving your arms a lot more with the rope as opposed to the running or cycling makes it more demanding.

3 x 5 minute rounds with no stopping. Try it, you might like it :)

sicr1000 just a question mate, what sort of fat test are you planning on purchasing? i have found in the past most of these skin fold caliper tests and such are semi accurate, but i have found the most accurate body fat/bone density/visceral fat deposit test is called a dexa scan.(basically a full body xray) im not sure where you live exactly mate but try searching near by for a facillity. the one i visit annualy is in the city (i live in sydney), if your in syd let me know and ill get you the adress. its 60 buks for the scan or for 100 buks you get a full consultation with the scan...

sicr1000 just a question mate, what sort of fat test are you planning on purchasing? i have found in the past most of these skin fold caliper tests and such are semi accurate, but i have found the most accurate body fat/bone density/visceral fat deposit test is called a dexa scan.(basically a full body xray) im not sure where you live exactly mate but try searching near by for a facillity. the one i visit annualy is in the city (i live in sydney), if your in syd let me know and ill get you the adress. its 60 buks for the scan or for 100 buks you get a full consultation with the scan...

Yea i was just going to use skinfold calipers, they claim to be 99% accurate. Apparantly anyway.
Na man i live up in darwin but i will chek it out cheers.