• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Knowledge and experience

Jman_898

Hey all, ive been flicking through threads on aus bb for a short while now, and ive read a similar thread to do with "why you started training"... now i would love to ask you all where you all found your best knowledge and or mentors? ive just been curious as to how you all went about learning so many things about training, and also how you know for sure your technique and such are spot on... im relatively new to this and coming from a 24.7 gym i really dont have many so called mentors to follow in the foot steps of. ive been basing all my choices so far off of the knowledge i find from the wisdom on this forum, now im interested in how you all became who you are :)

thanks for the reply mate, im guessing that they are writers? what are some interesting reads if you dont mind me asking, ive just ordered a couple of new books from america but id be keen to add to the collection once ive finished these... lol

Keys to progress

"the steel tip" available from oldtimestrongman

Arthur jones bulletins 1, 2 and 3 these are free.

Thanks for asking.
Although written many years ago they are still extremely relevent.
You'll find most written by others after this is just repeated

im read keys to progress as we speak, very interesting read. i like most of the t-nation guys, dan john, tony gentilcore, mark rippetoe, Mike Robertson. i still have alot more reading to do.

just read and read and read. but then try some of the things you read. you will eventually figure out what works for you.
then for form and technique watch vids on yourtube of profesionals and replicate. film yourself and analyse points to correct form.

BUT! more importantly its TIME UNDER THE BAR

Dale McMillan
Big Arthur
Adam Coe

Bill Kazmaeir

Dan John
Randy Strossen
Bill Starr
Peary Rader
Bill Pearl
Dr Ken
Marty Gallagher
Pavel
Anthony Dittilo
Dezso Ban
John Berardi

So many more writers

awesome guys, thanks for all the replies already, i do plan to read and read and read lol and im yet to gain hands on experience. but obviously it would move along a bit quicker had i had someone to be trained by that had a good few years of experience. ill have to look back to this forum in a short while for all these names stated so i can find myself some new books to buy :p thanks

Dave Tate
Louie Simmons
Joe Defranco

Dave Tate and Louie Simmons are prob the two people I have read about and followed the most and MANY of their ideas on training have become part of my own training.

Three bits of advice:

1. Train - train hard and be confident and aggressive with your weights - as Brendan said - TIME UNDER THE BAR.

2. Read read read read - I refer back to Louie Simmons and Dave Tates articles weekly

3. Watch youtube videos from guys at EliteFTS, Westside barbell, Supertraining, Joe Defranco etc etc

PTC also mentioned a whole heap of good ppl to have a search for - but for me those 3 have been prob the biggest.

Youtube
Google
Forums

I didnt know my technique was spot on untill some guy came over after deep squatting 265kg for reps and praised me on my squat form. That was the biggest mental boost I could of asked for as a beginner. I got him to check out my deadlift form, which I was having problems with. As soon as he corrected it I surged ahead with adding weight

The only test a lifter has to pass is the test of time.

As an older trainee I have appreciated the opportunity to realise the advantage to listening to my elders.

If someone is still lifting in their 60's~70's or onward with no injury, healthy and a tranquil mind - this person is the real deal.

thanks for your time everyone, ill deffinately spend some good hours searching these people. and def spend as much time as i can under the bar lol

I've only been doing this a little while but I gain most knowledge from:

Markos
Jim Wendler
Dave Tate
Westside Barbell (Lou)
My own time under the bar
and experimenting on my own clients.

I have learnt all of my limited knowledge from Markos, and things various people post on this forum.

I only ever listen to people who have done/have taught others exactly what I am trying to achieve.

makes sense to me blbarclay. i like to read so im more than happy to research all the names everyone has posted up here, but i do agree that a hands on approach is the best way, i just wish someone could point me in the direction of a good trainer here in sydney. id ask fadi but im sure hes a busy man too, anyone else know of any good trainers in sydney cbd?

sweet thanks bluey. i checked out their website. ill probably pop down there one day to check it out. i live more cbd so either north syd or the shire is a bit of a trip away. lol