• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

stiff just above my butt!!

alex

i know im asking for it haha but i have to ask... after deadlifts and even rows lately i have been experiencing a bit of stiffness from just above my tail bone? anyone had this?? its straight after the lift so not doms...

Yes, it is very common. It's called "using muscles you haven't used much before."

The muscles that run along either side of your spine are called the "erector spinae" group of muscles. They help your spine stay up. When you deadlift, row, squat, or anything like that, they get extra work - it's harder to keep your spine straight while you're holding an 80kg barbell than without it. After extra work, muscles sometimes get stiff and sore.

Just ensure you're using good form on your lifts. On all lifts, you want to keep your back in natural good posture. For the lower back, that means a slight curve inwards. Stand against a wall, and put one hand either side of your lower back. You should be able to have your bum and upper back against the wall, and to slide your hands freely in and out of that lower back space.

That's called the lumbar curve - lumbar's the lower back. You want to keep that while deadlifting, all the way from the first pull to standing upright, and all the way back down again. And keep it while rowing, and squatting, and so on.

At the top of the motion, consciously stick your arse out, and brace your abs as though someone's going to punch you in the stomach. Hold that brace all the way up and down with the lift. With the deadlift you'll need to pause and reset your brace with the weight on the floor, but should be able to hold the brace at the top of the lift.

Make sense?

If you don't keep it, then instead of your glutes (arse) and other muscles working, your lower back is working - and too much. You end up injuring yourself, and not developing the muscles you could develop.

This will sound weird, but you probably didn't injure your back deadlifting and such- Your back may have thrown in the towel during that set but it is more likely that the injury was a cumulative event rather than singular occurrence.

Without knowing you it's difficult to diagnose, if you can still walk you'll be right, check your hip flexors.
Do you bend at the hip? Or at the legs?
Do you squat regularly?
Other than that man-up mother f u c k e r.

cheers kyle appreciate it matey!! yeah im always very careful with form and as you said all the way through the lift. the physios excercises ask me to do an excercise against the wall so i checked my posture and no probs. cheers for the reassurance. much appreciated.