• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Progressive Resistance verse Periodization

PowerBuilder

The Effects of Periodization Versus Progressive Resistance Exercise on Upper and Lower Body Strength in Women

Source - The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research

This study compared periodization (PER) with active rest periods to progressive resistance exercise (PRE) to determine which led to more strength gains and whether a performance plateau occurred during 15 weeks of training.

Twenty women were randomly assigned to the PER group (n = 10) of the PRE group (n = 10). One repetition maximum (1-RM) was recorded for both groups on the bench press and parallel squat as a pretest, every 3 weeks, and again as a post treatment test.

Both groups trained on the same equipment 2 days a week.

PER underwent 8 weeks of hypertrophy training (3 x 10-RM), 2 weeks of strength and power training (3 x 4-RM), and 2 weeks of peak training (3 x 2-RM), with a 1-week aerobic active rest period between phases.

PRE maintained the same 3 x 6-RM program throughout the study. ANOVA with repeated measures revealed no statistical difference between groups for the bench press of parallel squat.

PER had consistent increases in strength while PRE appeared to be plateauing near the end of the 15-week study.

Volume of work performed was more powerful in determining strength than was the manipulation of repetitions, sets, or periods of active rest.

femalesquat.jpg

You should read it carefully, instead of just bolding the bits you like.

"no statistical difference between groups for the bench press of parallel squat."

So, both groups ended up just as strong. It's just that the periodisation group's strength increases were more steady over the period, while the progressive group reached their top strength before the end of the period and then plateaued.

Which suggests that complete beginners need a progressive programme, while experienced lifters need periodisation. Put another way, simple progression gets you stronger quickly, periodisation will get you there but with more stuffing around.

These are not, I think, new ideas.

And,

"Volume of work performed was more powerful in determining strength than was the manipulation of repetitions, sets, or periods of active rest."

In other words, the way to get stronger is to get under the iron and bust your arse, rather than worry about exact sets, reps, and so on. Again, not a new idea, but always nice to test these ideas just in case.

If the study was a 20 week study, the PRE group would have reset then cought back up or would be lagging behind?
Guess it depends on the lifters experience/stage they are at.

BTW that picture.. I had to modify it ;)

img97.imageshack.us/img97/2631/femalemaxsquat.jpg (sorry non clickable link cant post url untill i have 15 posts)

Theres some motivation for ya!

shit study.

Periodisation isn't needed for beginners, and beyond a weekly arrangement isnt needed for intermediates either.

You won't get far without it though if you compete (I cannot name a single powerlifter who doesnt use it).

If power ranger spent more time lifting then posting articles....

Its all about EFFORT. Bust your ass 100% everytime even on a poor routine and youll get better results then 50% effort on the world best routine.

/out

If power ranger spent more time lifting then posting articles....

Its all about EFFORT. Bust your ass 100% everytime even on a poor routine and youll get better results then 50% effort on the world best routine.

/out

Name a single competitive powerlifter who doesnt use periodisation.

Here's a list of people who do - the Russian, Ukrainian and Kazakh teams, all the guys at westside and pretty much all the commonwealth champions.

Sorry if this seems rude, but when I'm squatting 220 and deadlifting 275 at the end of this year for a 5RM there's no way I'll be able to squat x3 a week, thats why powerlifters train 4 days a week. Anyone who says otherwise is a complete moron.

Last edited:
Name a single competetive powerlifter on here (shorty excluded).

The information your talking about serves a great purpose, to confuse people that dont need it.

Check out PB's journal, see if you think he needs periodization, or anyone else for that matter.

Bluey nailed it.........effort, most simply dont want to try it.

Oli, your excluded, your doing exceptionally well, most arent keeping up with you and your a novice kid, what does that tell you?

PTC,

I completely agree with you for beginners - they can barely master squat form, the last thing they need to be thinking about is a 6 month periodisation plan. A lot of the guys on this site are beginners. Thats what we get for living in a country that has never had a tradition of barbell training and not making up e-stats like on bb.com.

Thing is, I'm squatting 175kg now for 5 reps (next week it'll be 177.5kg) and squatting 205kg yourself you'll know thats ****ing heavy. The static bar bends, and I swear sometimes I can hear my insides screaming. I couldn't imagine squatting that for 5x5 three times a week, let alone 220kg. It pisses me off that I get called a 'wuss' who 'overthinks things' because I suggest I and most other people would be fried with that weight x3 a week.

sure I and most other guys on here arnt world class lifters and wont ever need something as complex as a sheiko cycle, but once above a 140/100/180 total you're going to need to change things up a little (eg have a light day or a day you dont squat) and at 220/140/275 (and they better be aiming for this kind of total) you're going to need something a little more complex, like a a few weeks building up, a peak and a deload, or maybe something as simple as changing up an exercise when one stalls (the essence of periodisation).

I agree totally, but I have found that by giving lifters information BEFORE they need it confuses the hell out of them.

Tell them what they need to know NOW works best, in my opinion.

Oliver, I would not accuse you of overthinking things, since thinking or not, whatever you're doing must be working.

The rest of us are another matter. One step at a time.

I agree totally, but I have found that by giving lifters information BEFORE they need it confuses the hell out of them.

Tell them what they need to know NOW works best, in my opinion.

Totally on ball. Next time this happens though I'm just going to put 'periodisation is a great way of training, if you're an advanced lifter'.

Oliver, I would not accuse you of overthinking things, since thinking or not, whatever you're doing must be working.

The rest of us are another matter. One step at a time.

thanks for the compliments.

Edit: PTC, I noticed your last name is greek. Do you make a mean souvlaki?

Last edited:
No but f u c k I can eat them. Truth be told I have had maybe 5 in the last 20 years.

I could really do with one now lol

No but f u c k I can eat them. Truth be told I have had maybe 5 in the last 20 years.

I could really do with one now lol

we went to greece on a family holiday (athens was a shithole and we went in that massive riot last year, our street had a police guard but thats another story) and the souvlakis they had were probably the nicest things I've ever ate. I'd willingly let myself get fat if it were from souvlaki.

I can't track a place that makes them down though, its really depressing :(