• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

sicr1000

I dont have a spotter when im at the Gym so the Smith Machine is a safer option for me i think.

Hey just curious is the Smith Machine Press the same as doing a Bench Press or is the bench press a better option for working the chest??

You dont need a spotter unless u are trying 1rm.. You should know your limits and what youi are doing when you get to the gym. You sohuld be 1 rep away from fialure and you generally know when this is.

Smith machineis useless peice of crap ass junk.

No, it is not the same. You have a restricted line of motion instead of moving as is comfortable for you, and you don't have to balance the weight. The free weight is superior.

If you're worried about crushing yourself, find the squat rack, drag the bench into it and put the safety bars just at or below your lying down chest height, that way the safeties catch the bar if you can't get it up.

free weights is better by far..

1. free range of motion
2. Use of stabilizer muscles (shoulder stabalizers) that u use to balance yourself while on a smith u wont. Do what kyle mentioned and put the safety bars either side if there are some.

I dont have a spotter when im at the Gym so the Smith Machine is a safer option for me i think.

Hey just curious is the Smith Machine Press the same as doing a Bench Press or is the bench press a better option for working the chest??

The bench press is an exercise that allows the trainee to handle a lot of weight. Is it a good pec exercise? Not as good as flyes, stone sphere lifting and dips. Is it a good deltoid exercise? Not as good as presses, and various lateral/leverage movements with dumbbells. Is it a good tricep exercise? Now we may be on to something. But, tricep pressdowns on a lat-machine IMO are safer.

The main difference between the smith and barbell?
Shoulder issues- the path of the bar must start over the head and finishes above the nipples...the smith inhibits this.

Make sure you shoulder blades are moving and your feet are anchord in a way the your lwr back is in contact with the bench.

I'm not a fan of this exercise.

Last edited:
the smith machine is good for a few things, one being when you wanna take a piss in the middle of a workout & can't be bothered going to far.

The other day I saw a guy benching in the Smith machine, when he got up to I think 110kg he went to the office to get the trainer to... spot him.

Yeah, I didn't understand, either.

He had a big chest, it seemed to be working for him. Not much in back or legs, but a big chest. Funny way of going about it, though.

The other day I saw a guy benching in the Smith machine, when he got up to I think 110kg he went to the office to get the trainer to... spot him.

Yeah, I didn't understand, either.

He had a big chest, it seemed to be working for him. Not much in back or legs, but a big chest. Funny way of going about it, though.

You need to spend more time working out.

Like I said, it seemed to be working for him.

Now if only he had some equally funky stuff to do with the rest of his body.

No

Personally, I will use a smith in between other exercises to really focus on a muscle group, because of its lack of flexibility. But in no way is it the 'Pinnacle' of my training that group.

Silverback I'd be interested to hear more about why you dislike the bench.

OP, if your gym has a power rack, set the safety bars at nipple height with your back flat on the bench. With the slight arch that you use while pressing, your ROM will be unaffected but you can also drop the weight if your overstep your bounds.