• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why did you start lifting?

PTC

Everyone starts lifting for a reason.

Some lift to improve performance at a particular sport.

Others because of body image, too skinny or too fat.

Others want to impress the opposite (or same) sex

Others simply join there mates as a social thing in the gym.

I always ask why people started. It gives me an insight into why they train the way they do.

So why did you start?

I'll go first. I was a good junior footballer who had hopes of making it in the big time. I couldnt run out of sight or do 10 pushups, yet I had great success on the field. I reasoned I could be a better player if I got stronger and fitter, so I joined up Lifestyle at 16 years old.

After years of eating crap and sitting on my ass I was feeling very unhealthy, my gf was in a similar position and she did something about and got a gym membership so I joined up also.

My main goal was just to get fitter and improve my general health

Played soccer, union, league 13-17. 16-21 spent nearly 2 years on and off in hospital over that 5 year period ans lost about 80% of my vision as a result. Since then I enjoy bodybuilding/strength training to keep me going. (when I can stick to it lol.)
Been training last 4-5 mths of last year and looking forward to giving the weights a good hit in 2010.
I'm 39 now.

Years ago, because I wanted to get stronger and fitter. I'd always been a skinny and weak kid, though reasonably fit - and Army made me more solid and stronger, I wanted to be more solid and strong still.

More recently, I was getting fat, weak and unfit. I wanted to lose the gut (not interested in six-pack abs, just no gut is fine), and return to something like the strength and fitness I had in Army days.

I want to remain healthy, strong and fit to help me in becoming a father, and being a good dad, not a fat one waving the kids away from the couch where he's watching footy with beer in hand.

i started water skiing 6 years ago and as i've gotten better felt that being stronger would improve my power and allow me to ski longer. i was also jack of having to take rest days because i was too sore early in the summer.

Spare tyre and man boobs were getting beyond a joke. Also had old injuries coming back to haunt me due to strength/muscle loss. Want to get back my old strength (and then some), get some drive behind me again, instead of being tired, making excuses and sitting on my ass.

Oh and also would like to be able to purchase something other than an XXL fixed back seat for when I race the car this year.

I was about 60kg, weak, unfit and unhealthy, when i was in my early 20's. Was sick of being told Im sooo skinny.

Always saw/imagined myself as a strong type of guy, 1 year ago I realized I was anything but that, weighing in at a skinny-fat 65kg at 175cm coasting through life like a couch potato living on one crap meal a day
Now weigh 95 kg and people keep saying how much ive bulked up, always puts a grin on my face but I tell them im far from finished!
Also maybe placebo but im feeling a massive boost in will power, sex drive, ambitions, disipline and a greater sense of wellbeing. To me it seems like im becoming the person I should be.

Always saw/imagined myself as a strong type of guy, 1 year ago I realized I was anything but that, weighing in at a skinny-fat 65kg at 175cm coasting through life like a couch potato living on one crap meal a day
Now weigh 95 kg and people keep saying how much ive bulked up, always puts a grin on my face but I tell them im far from finished!
Also maybe placebo but im feeling a massive boost in will power, sex drive, ambitions, disipline and a greater sense of wellbeing. To me it seems like im becoming the person I should be.

Hey Jeremy, your from Canberra I see. I have around 7 lifters flying down from Canberra to compete at my comp in a few weeks.

Where abouts do you train?

Have you been to Joel's gym, Powersports I think. Quality set up. Check it out if you havent already.

Quite a few Canberrians on here now.

Was always the weak kid growing up. Not going to be weak much longer.

Why do I lift? Because it makes me feel fantastic. Fu'ck everyone else.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Was always significantly underweight. Most people thought I was malnourished, and some even thought my parents were neglecting us. (Which was definitely not the case).

Starting originally going to the Gym to correct my poor posture; then overtime realised it was doing wonders for my body, my looks, and my confidence; so kept going.

Self-image still lacks though; I don't go to the beach because I'm not satisfied yet.. but will get there.

21 yo old and 54kg, maybe 10% bf not pretty.
I was weak and skinny, and noticed the lack of strength during martial arts training,and life in general, and well when the shirt came off I was a little embarased.
It was like I stopped growing when i was 16, height and weight, and it never changed.. So I deceided to make the change myself.

I liked getting stronger, and bigger, I like being able to control the results to an extent, and it gradually becomes addictive.

Last edited:
I was a good athlete in school but after 4 years of heavy drinking, smoking and other bad habits I was a mess. Skinny fat, pale, weak and I hated the person I saw in the mirror.

I started to improve my self esteem and physical appearance. I now lift because it keeps me sane, I love competition and because lifting and the lifestyle change that has come with it has improved my life beyond what I ever thought possible.

Where abouts do you train?

Elite physique. lots of barbells, racks, cages, chalk, deadlift platforms. Its not unusual to see people squatting/deadlifting 4-6 plates for reps, which is good because it makes you say to your self 'I will do that one day'

Elite physique. lots of barbells, racks, cages, chalk, deadlift platforms. Its not unusual to see people squatting/deadlifting 4-6 plates for reps, which is good because it makes you say to your self 'I will do that one day'

Kettlebells? Bumper plates? Tyres? Sledge hammers? Prowlers and sleds? ... Powersports for the win!!!! :) seriously great place to train!

Back on topic ;) I started lifting because, like a lot here it seems, I was severely underweight and ridiculously weak (58kg at 184cm and 19 years old).

I continue to lift because I like it.

J I used to train at elite, good environment and the right gear but theres a lot of wankers in there too. Plus its expensive. :(

So I moved to Powersports in Fyshwick which has everything Elite does except the wankers and crowded weights room. Would be great if you could get out there for a session, first visit is free.

i started lifting as Ive always been big, at 6"6 everyone assumed I was strong, which wasnt the case. I wanted the strength people thought I have. Ive since left that and I purely enjoy lifting as its relaxing, I feel great after a session and the physical changes are a great side effect :)

pseudonym: it has the 1st 3 on your list :)

Bluey: havnt really noticed any wankers and I sometimes have the place to myself, must be the time of day I go but ill definitly come along and check out Powersports; im moving to queanbeyan soon so driving to Fyshwick will be definitly better then Phillip

Soz for thread derail ;)