• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thoughts on the olympic Snatch

PowerBuilder

Last night I sat down & read closely an article about the starting position of the olympic lift 'the snatch'. Instead of posting it here, since it's quite long & to be honest...i don't actually read long articles, i thought i'd post some thoughts here, what i did about it & the results.

A major point the article made was that the starting position of the snatch directly influences the entire lift. Everything from how wide your hands are, where your hips, shoulders, feet & chest is will effect how effective the lift is. The set up is in fact not like a deadlift. Since the movements before & after the dealift isn't actually that important But the movements after the first lift of the snatch are a result of the first lift...so get the first one wrong & the whole lift will go to hell in a hand bag.

Another point the article made was the importance of having the bar close to the body or you'll fall flat on your face as gravity will pull you forward if the bar is too far away from you.

So this morning, i got to the gym fresh, excited & motivated...what could i do now that i had a better understanding of the set up!! I held an empty bar, arms wide, feet hip wide with my legs touching the inside of my arms, shoulder slightly ahead of the bar. With a smooth movement I did close to the best snatch of my life. I lifted the bar off the ground, turned that into a sntch pull, then to a snatch high pull, turned that into a snatch muscle. All while keeping the bar close to me so as not to fall flat on my face.

i have a lot to say, since i'm really excited about what i learnt. I'm looking forward to getting Greg Everett's book Olympic Weightlifting: A complete guide for athletes & coaches, our good mate Haz (and another friend - Anthony Roberts got me onto the book. 2010 is going to be a massive year for me