• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Re PTC Beginners Program

PowerBuilder

In the Beginners Program written by PTC, the program written out is...

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

I have a question that has probably been asked, i just don't feel like scrolling thru all 7 pages to hunt for the answer.

Now, let's say that the trainee achieves 3 sets of 10 reps of 90kg. Does that mean the next session (s)he adds 2.5kg to the bar for the next session? If that's done & only 8 reps (for example) are done, is this weight kept until 10 reps are achieved?

This would probably include all the lifts, ie bp, push press, SLDL's & row's.....

Cheers

Remember reading something that may be of interest to your question

My workout program:

As per Markos' instructions, a full body workout three times weekly for the first 12 months. Every session I need to be adding one of the three "mores" - more reps, more sets or more weight. Reps and sets aren't important (stay around 25 total reps, whether it's 8x3, 7x4, 6x4, 5x5), effort is crucial. Don't go to failure.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Deadlift 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Gary, your right. Addin' more is critical to success.

In my initial question, when she reaches a squat of 3 sets of 10 reps at 90, adding one more set could be an option, so could be adding more weight to the bar.

if you're trying to build strength why wouldn't you add more weight or did i miss something?

always add more weight... its a no brainer. As soon as you can complete a set with a certain weight. use more next time!

what about, turning 3 x 10, into 4 x 10 (with additional weight

that changes the total reaps to 40 which is a fair bit of volume for a compound lift. just add weight. it will also save time.

it can be useful for hypertrophy tho

Refer post #2.

Stay around 25 reps total.

I think you are missing the point of what everyone keeps repeating around here.

It's not the reps or sets that matter, it's all about EFFORT.

nah, i'm gonna stick to that program verbatim.

3 x 10 only. Not 4,5 etc. It's more measurable imo, if you keep the frequency constant and increase overall volume by increasing the weights.

Nice post Ben.

Look, if you get all 10 reps for 3 sets, you up the weight by 2.5kg.

If on the next workout you get 10,9,8, you attempt the same weight again.

If by some miracle you do 10,9,8 again, then you need to add a set. If you did 10,9,9, you did one of the 3 MORES, you progressed, on you go.

As long as the session is progressive, you'll progress. If you repeat a session, then you've gone backwards.

If the weights are getting heavy and you have a back off week, this rule doesnt apply. No one on this forum needs a back off week. Yet.