• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can anyone reccommend some stores in Melbourne?

TGM

Hi, I'm new to the forum here and I was hoping I could get some advice from locals.

My problem is that I can't find a decent store that sells weights and chalk.

Tried Rebel and Workout World at Know (or whatever they changed their name to now) and neither had chalk, both had pretty shoddy looking standard plates. Both just had heaps of machines.

Does anyone know where I can get some chalk from locally? And a store that sells proper weightlifting gear, e.g. belts, york plates, etc. Eastern suburbs would be better, but anywhere in Melbourne will do really. Would prefer to buy local rather than have to wait for shipping, as I really need chalk now. (deadlifts are shredding my hands.)

Thanks.

Australian Kettlebells in Richmond stock chalk as well as plates.

Roger David sells nice belts.

^ I'll check them out if sports power doesn't have chalk as I'm going there tomorrow anyway.

Is rocklimbers chalk the same thing?

EDIT: BTW is there something I'm not getting about the belts?

Last edited:
Well I checked your lifts, I figured you didnt need a belt yet, so I figured it was a dress belt you were getting, and I know for a fact that Roger David is having a sale and have a vast collection.

Climbers chalk is the same, its simply magnesium carbonate, gymnastics chalk.

Well I checked your lifts, I figured you didnt need a belt yet, so I figured it was a dress belt you were getting, and I know for a fact that Roger David is having a sale and have a vast collection.

I never said I needed a belt? I know I don't need a belt yet, I'm not even squatting 1.5x BW.

Climbers chalk is the same, its simply magnesium carbonate, gymnastics chalk.

Cool thanks.

Belts are for wimps.

Why do you say that? Most guys I see squatting serious weight wear belts. Anyone that can squat 250+ isn't a wimp.

Chalk is chalk... buy some blackboard chalk and grind it up lol.

Ok thought there might be some difference.

You seem to recommend Roger David a fair bit, you must have shares in the place.:p

Australian barbell Co and Titanaustralia are down there as far as I'm aware.

Why not bite the bullet and order from a store in sydney?

I am Roger David Shrek.

Anaconda sells chalk as well, and Bluey, chalk is not chalk, magnesium carbonate is what your looking for.

Did you tell him how little you squat and deadlift while wearing a belt Oli?

lol, I think if I told him Id been training 10 months he'd be okay with it.

The belt keeps me tighter under the squat and lets me round my upper back in the deadlift. Its an extremely useful tool.

lol, I think if I told him Id been training 10 months he'd be okay with it.

The belt keeps me tighter under the squat and lets me round my upper back in the deadlift. Its an extremely useful tool.

Or you can train so you dont need the bandaid.

When youre up in the elite powerlifting level, sure wear a belt. No one on this site can claim they are at a level that requires a belt. You simply choose to take the easy and bandaided road and use assistance gear instead of training your weaknesses into strengths.

I find this belt thing intriguing, nobody is going to give either way.

I'm sorry my role models arent wrapped up like Mummies Oli.